TX and Southern US Frag-it-forward

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is going to take some setup but I could use some help on it. Our members in Texas and other southern states have been hurting due to the outages and it pains me to see another thread or Instagram post of dying tanks. I would like to setup a group of donors that have extra frags lying around to send to members who have had bad tank crashes and could use some help in repopulating. I would love to start by getting a list of reef clubs in hard hit area that could use out support on getting set back up. My heart goes out to you all. Any other ideas of ways people can help out?

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is going to take some setup but I could use some help on it. Our members in Texas and other southern states have been hurting due to the outages and it pains me to see another thread or Instagram post of dying tanks. I would like to setup a group of donors that have extra frags lying around to send to members who have had bad tank crashes and could use some help in repopulating. I would love to start by getting a list of reef clubs in hard hit area that could use out support on getting set back up. My heart goes out to you all. Any other ideas of ways people can help out?
Bump for attention.

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well we tried...

If anyone is interested I have a few softies/zoas. Just send me a before and after or something.
I think this is a great idea! I wish I had tanks that were established enough to join in. It may be a couple weeks while people take care of other things in the affected areas and they are ready for this. Some googling would probably produce a lost of clubs and contacts. There also may be clubs in the area with members who's tanks weren't affected that are already doing something similar.

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NeonRabbit221B do you have a reef club in your area? You could reach out to them if so and coordinate a box to save on shipping. We don't have many reefers where I live unfortunately. It probably makes the most sense to ship from club to club, with one person responsible for collecting on one end and another responsible for distributing on the other.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im in Los Angeles. Never shipped a coral before. One of my tanks is a softie tank and my Kenya tree keeps having babies. I think Kenya may be easier to ship? It’s pretty hardy. I may have a few zoas and gsp as well. I would love to help if it’s possible. But I think this is an amazing idea!

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im in Los Angeles. Never shipped a coral before. One of my tanks is a softie tank and my Kenya tree keeps having babies. I think Kenya may be easier to ship? It’s pretty hardy. I may have a few zoas and gsp as well. I would love to help if it’s possible. But I think this is an amazing idea!

I see that you're part of the LA Aquatics Club. Can you send out a message to club members to see who else would be interested in shipping frags? I think it makes the most sense to get a collection of frags together as a group, and then ship that to one individual for them to distribute. Also, there may be someone in your group that's experienced with shipping that could take care of or help with that part of it.

Johniejumbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in mid west Texas and just went without power for 3 days. Thankfully it’s back on now and my water is back to about 50 percent pressure. Need a bit more for the r/o unit to work right I think. I did indeed lose some corals and a couple of fish.... so far. I haven’t really even considered replenishing yet. I’m sure I’ll lose more as time goes on and I’ll probably have other problems arise in the next few weeks from this. But it would be awesome to see something like what you’re talking about get organized! I didn’t loose so much really. It’s just a 40g tank and my corals stay on the inexpensive side. But I bet some people lots everything. I haven’t been on here enough lately to see any of the stories..

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HD_Reefer I think you posted in another thread that you were interested in this?
Definitely. I’ve got some Xenia that’s ready to go, some that’s close and a ton or kenya tree and cabbage that needs fragging. I’m sure there’s more, but I need to do some inventory

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’m sure there are many people who would be willing to help locally but shipping a few frags from elsewhere might become prohibitively expensive. There would have to be some hub and spoke arrangement at both ends, as mentioned earlier in the thread, to make it viable.

It might be nice (and potentially easier) if some of the big vendors could offer up a big discount on ‘recovery packs’ for those who have suffered big losses.

It’s still quite early for some to start recovery though. I’m lucky as my power is back on, but I still don’t have water and am having to stay in a hotel until broken pipes at my apartment complex are fixed. Some people still don’t even have their power back yet.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@living_tribunal @jstephens24 @Don_Jorge is this something that could benefit you or other reefers in your area?
I’m eager to help ANYONE around the Dallas region. I’ve got spare pumps, a 36 gallon bow front, ro/di water, and even a couple of small frags for any reefers looking to rebuild or restart.

Also, if we could really coordinate something, I’d be willing to drive across the south one weekend picking up/dropping off frags in order to not ship. I think it would be fun.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posted in my semi-local FB reef club. We shall wait and see. Thanks everyone.
I’ll post in in my areas fb groups as well. People are either devastated fire selling all of their equipment or scalping off of the low prices. People need hope soon.

I wonder if we could organize this well enough to maybe give like 5 frags and one fish to everyone who lost everything. I think it’s possible.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a good idea but ppl need to to completely do a rip clean of their tank. Meaning taking out all sand, replacing and getting things back to being stable again.
Those thinking they’ll just do some water changes and everything will be be good again are in for a rude awakening, jus sayin

Back