TX and Southern US Frag-it-forward

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, someone in our local fb groups is trying to start a go fund me. If shipping/dropping off frags is too cumbersome, donating is the next best way to give back.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll post in in my areas fb groups as well. People are either devastated fire selling all of their equipment or scalping off of the low prices. People need hope soon.

I wonder if we could organize this well enough to maybe give like 5 frags and one fish to everyone who lost everything. I think it’s possible.
For people genuinely in need, I'd be happy to ship heads of hammer to them. Or ship you a bunch of single heads and you deliver.

I feel terrible for everyone that lost their tanks and not everyone in this hobby has tons of disposable income, and I'm happy to donate to those in need on my dime.

Also, someone in our local fb groups is trying to start a go fund me. If shipping/dropping off frags is too cumbersome, donating is the next best way to give back.

If you know anyone that is less fortunate financially and lost their tank, feel free to send me a PM with their contact info and I'd be happy to buy them some new fish/coral to help.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For people genuinely in need, I'd be happy to ship heads of hammer to them. Or ship you a bunch of single heads and you deliver.

I feel terrible for everyone that lost their tanks and not everyone in this hobby has tons of disposable income, and I'm happy to donate to those in need on my dime.

If you know anyone that is less fortunate financially and lost their tank, feel free to send me a PM with their contact info and I'd be happy to buy them some new fish/coral to help.
I feel the same, almost guilty, considering I some how kept power during this whole ordeal. Let’s make this happen somehow, like actually happen.

Anak’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d love to help out too, but unfortunately, I don’t have many corals and my tank is going through a really bad hydroid infestment so I don’t want to hand corals to people that just suffered and have them suffer again because of my corals. Anything else I can do to help maybe?

Can get in touch with people on IG for the people who can’t. I’m hosting a giveaway on there in celebration for 1K followers and I’m collaborating with a TX reefer. I extended the deadline since I understand many are having trouble. If you want to spread the word, there are some pretty good prizes I think. Some reef nutrition products, gift cards to coral shops like Corals Anonymous and gift cards to Shops like Marine Depot. Also some frag racks.

If by chance you are a TX reefer that doesn’t have IG. I’d be happy to enroll you into it. Send me a PM and I’ll let you know the details then. As of now, the deadline to join is Friday next week, (2/26) and I’m still discussing it with my collab partner. We are both 13 and 14 so we are trying our best to make it happen smoothly.

don’t forget to pm me with any questions or if you want to enroll in my giveaway.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of awesome people are stepping up! 6431CFC7-AE65-4872-8A08-9FAB51497784.png

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had an email from BRS earlier (I don't know if it was just sent to Texas residents or all of their customers) and they have stepped up to the plate. :) I won't be taking advantage of their offer myself as I wasn't far enough into my cycle to lose anything, but I might place another order with them as a 'thankyou' for looking after the reefers in my area who have.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an email from BRS earlier (I don't know if it was just sent to Texas residents or all of their customers) and they have stepped up to the plate. :) I won't be taking advantage of their offer myself as I wasn't far enough into my cycle to lose anything, but I might place another order with them as a 'thankyou' for looking after the reefers in my area who have.
Must be just texas as I didn't get one.

Yet another reason to support BRS. People have their complaints but I think BRS does a lot for the reefing community and your post reinforces that.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@revhtree Actually I think this is where Bizs like WWC, BRS, etc, that have annual sales of +1mil....should offer a deep discount for those with Texas residential delivery addresses

BRS Annuals 64.4mil
WWC Annuals 2.4mil

Last edited:
OP
OP
NeonRabbit221B

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 10 neon green toadstool frags, 2 devils hand and 2 Zoas for the first Texas club member who wants to help organize. Glad to see the reefing mantra of pay it forward is taking effect. Shipping will be on me if anyone around central Va wants to contribute!

Lsuhunter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a good idea but ppl need to to completely do a rip clean of their tank. Meaning taking out all sand, replacing and getting things back to being stable again.
Those thinking they’ll just do some water changes and everything will be be good again are in for a rude awakening, jus sayin
Actually this isn’t the case. My tank went 3 days without power in Louisiana. I was out of town and my home generator failed after the first day. I had somebody go and cover my tank with a lot of blankets until I got home. Water temp was 60 degrees 48 hours later when I got to my tank. I immediately removed everything dead and started heating the water back with hot water bottles warmed on the stove. I added the few fish alive to a 5 gallon bucket with parts of my rock work that had my favorite corals and left for the night. I finally got power back the next afternoon and immediately went back and did a big water change, added fresh chemo pure and brought the tank back up to temp and added my fish back. Some coral never missed a beat and others never had a chance. The only euphyllia that survived was a Duncan, and I have an octospawn on life support. Hammers and torches are all goners. Some zoas opened in the 5gal bucket, some melted away, and some are closed and TBD. Sps all died, softies are all on life support. Most rbta were dead on the sand bed but others are still alive. I think the water was so cold that nothing decomposed and spoiled the tank like I expected. I thought I was coming home to a complete loss. I took water samples before and after the water change and their was no trace of ammonia or nitrite. So while I lost some fish and half my coral, some still pulled thru and my tank is actually still stable. Now it’s just time to slowly start the replacing phase.

Melanie D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some green hairy mushrooms, green rhodacti mushrooms, one pink nepthelia frag and Kenya tree. I don't know the first thing about shipping corals is there someone in the Chicagoland area collecting corals to ship? I would be happy to share what I can.

OP
OP
NeonRabbit221B

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update

Central VA reef club is sending MARSH up to 20 frags, inverts, sponges, ect (or however many I can fit in the large cooler my friend is giving me).

Just thinking about planning for shipment with this many items has me worried about weight. The current plan is to use 4 oz specimen cups and rubber band the disks/plugs to some Styrofoam. Anyother cost effective packaging methods to use? Never shipped this many before or had to worry about stacking the cups and heat distribution.

I guess I should get that QT system back in order, do a WC and prepare for stocking until donations can come in.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back