Storing a glass tank outside

WillKatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off I apologize if this is not the appropriate forum for this question. I wasn't sure where to post it.

I have a 200 gallon starphire Miracles tank that I had built almost two years ago when I started my build. Due to some health issue my wife has and starting a new business I have been forced to have my build on hold for some time. During this time I have had my tank stored in my garage on a flat bed trailor. Its pretty level but not perfectly level.

Anyway on to my question. I'm a little concerned of the extreme fluctuations in cold and warm temperatures we have where I live. Should I be concerned that this could have any ill effect on the silicone joints?

I have of course contacted the manufacture but they only say it "shouldn't" be a problem which doesn't give me the warm and fuzzy id really like. Does anyone have any experience with this at all? Has anyone stored a glass tank for long periods of time outside or somewhere similar?

I'm not super knowledgeable when it comes to tank building but I know different types of silicone are available and may behave differently depending on the type. So if it helps my tank was made with the black silicone that looks more like an epoxy rubber than anything.

Thanks for your time.

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would believe as long as it was in the garage and did not face the elements except some cold you should be fine... Inspect the silicone, if it looks fine It most likely is, if it looks cracked and old I would think about replacing it.

Im sure someone with more knowledge will comment further.

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 125 gallon Oceanic in my storage buildng for about 5 years or more.
I finally sold it and the owner is still using it with no problem.

Is there any way you could fill it in your garage and run it for awhile?

Dave A

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicone is a common material with a number of uses. It is unaffected by extremes of temperature and impervious to water. The silicone caulks used to fill gaps in your house are nearly identical to aquarium sealant, the difference being the addition of mildew inhibitors. These caulks are often guaranteed for up to 30 years and they are used outdoors in the sun, wind, rain and snow.
Silicone is also used for potholders and bake ware, it handles temperatures found in the freezer and oven for years without any problems. I have a silicone oven mitt that allows me to dip my hand into a pot of boiling water without feeling any heat at all.
Up until the 1960's, aquariums were made of glass panels that were held together by metal frames and sealed by cork gaskets. The cork in these tanks would shrink if allowed to dry out and the tanks would leak until the cork absorbed enough water to swell and create a seal. If the cork was left dry for too long there was a chance it would crack or dry rot. Aquariums that are sealed with silicone don't have these problems. Manufacturing flaws can cause a tank to leak, but a tank that is free of flaws can last a lifetime. I have 4 tanks in use at the moment, all were manufactured between 1986 and 1994, all have been stored dry for at least 5 years at some point and all still hold water as expected. The idea that an aquarium will leak if allowed to dry out is a leftover from the days of metal framed tanks, silicone doesn't care if it is wet or dry.

OP
OP
WillKatt

WillKatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for everyones replies. It sounds like its nothing to be concerned about. This tank is built better than any tank I have ever owned and has never even seen water since I special ordered it. I was just surprised that the manufature didnt sound 100% that it wouldnt be a problem. Perhaps they took this approach to protect thmeselves because they dont know if im doing wird things with the tank or something.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Liability control is in the word "shouldn't". They just don't want to say it will 100% be fine when they are not sure of how you are storing the tank. Some people do some really stupid things and blame the manufacturer for not telling them it was stupid before the did it. See the tag on the hair drier that says do not submerge in your bath water... DUH. Unfortunately companies now need disclaimers and vague wording to allow them to exit out of liability in lawsuits in case one ever came up.

Dave A said it well. You will be fine. I store my dry tanks out in my unheated garage. I don't know many places that can go from over 100 degrees in the summer to -60 degrees in the winter. Due to no climate control in the garage, these tanks are subjected to all of it. They still hold water and are just fine.

If you are going to store the tank long term, consider getting it on a level surface and cover it with a tarp or something. If you wanted to really protect it wrap it in that foam insulation and then cover. It will have a little scratch/impact protection as well this way. Long term storage on a flatbed may not be the best if it can be avoided, but I don't think it would cause damage either.

santiago858

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicone is a common material with a number of uses. It is unaffected by extremes of temperature and impervious to water. The silicone caulks used to fill gaps in your house are nearly identical to aquarium sealant, the difference being the addition of mildew inhibitors. These caulks are often guaranteed for up to 30 years and they are used outdoors in the sun, wind, rain and snow.
Silicone is also used for potholders and bake ware, it handles temperatures found in the freezer and oven for years without any problems. I have a silicone oven mitt that allows me to dip my hand into a pot of boiling water without feeling any heat at all.
Up until the 1960's, aquariums were made of glass panels that were held together by metal frames and sealed by cork gaskets. The cork in these tanks would shrink if allowed to dry out and the tanks would leak until the cork absorbed enough water to swell and create a seal. If the cork was left dry for too long there was a chance it would crack or dry rot. Aquariums that are sealed with silicone don't have these problems. Manufacturing flaws can cause a tank to leak, but a tank that is free of flaws can last a lifetime. I have 4 tanks in use at the moment, all were manufactured between 1986 and 1994, all have been stored dry for at least 5 years at some point and all still hold water as expected. The idea that an aquarium will leak if allowed to dry out is a leftover from the days of metal framed tanks, silicone doesn't care if it is wet or dry.
Somebody has a big brain around here!

Jeffrey Thompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y'all are trippin' it is very unwise to let a Aquarium get hot then cold over and over , your flirting with disaster!!! This is a forum so take everything you read with a grain of salt!!!!!

Sassafras

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 150 gallon custom built, silicone sealed, never used glass tank that I stored outside under a tarp, upside down on a couple of 4x4s to keep it off the ground for 10 years in temperatures that ranged from the low single digits to just over 100 deg. F. I don't want to sound like, "I abused my tank more than you did and got away with it", but, I set the tank up and ran it for another 10 years and had no issues. I was concerned about the conditions under which the tank had been stored, but when I inspected the seams they were tight, flexible and looked unaffected by the storage, so I went for it. Sold the tank and, for all I know, it may still be holding water.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back