Storing dirty filter socks between washing?

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been washing my 200 micron felt fliter socks and they need cleaning every 3 days or so. Can I accumulate dirty socks before washing? I have 10 spares. Running a load every time one pair gets dirty seems silly. Can I just rinse and let dry till wash day or should they be kept in water?

Teen reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
honestly I would just clean the filter sock well under a sink but do not rinse it with soap because that could harm the tank but just rinse it with water and then put it back on the tank.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been washing my 200 micron felt fliter socks and they need cleaning every 3 days or so. Can I accumulate dirty socks before washing? I have 10 spares. Running a load every time one pair gets dirty seems silly. Can I just rinse and let dry till wash day or should they be kept in water?
Either way is fine IMO.

I put mine in a 5g bucket half filled with tap water and 2 capfuls of bleach, then wash with no soap. Never had issues.

I've got about 10 Socks, so I let 8 pile up before I wash them.

About 2 weeks worth.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing about keeping them out of water/dry is anything that crusts on may be harder to get off? But I really don't imagine if you wash them inside out on hot, it would be an issue.

Teen reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that would be fine but you should rinse it with water after just to make sure all that bleach is out.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either way is fine IMO.

I put mine in a 5g bucket half filled with tap water and 2 capfuls of bleach, then wash with no soap. Never had issues.
Exactly what I do as well.

guylaga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine just go in a empty salt bucket until down to the last 2.

Turn inside out and wash with an extra rinse cycle and some bleach.

Air Dry.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Soak it in a bleach solution and cold water wash which will neutralize the bleach and socks come out White as white gets

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tip to get longer time out of your filter sock. Put a small piece of floss into the sock when you replace them. After 3 or 4 days, pull dirty filter floss out and get 3 or 4 more days out of the sock. Doubles life of the sock.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Arsenix2001 before I switched to fleece roller filter (highly recommend) I kept my socks in a sealed bucket that had an inch or two of water/bleach. Left them like that for a couple of weeks at a time.

OP
OP
Arsenix2001

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, great tips. For now will do the bucket storage method and start washing in bulk. First real sump but loving it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back