Storing natural seawater

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys run the nsw through a filter socks or something?
I do because I pump it in a vat from the shore where the waves are breaking and it is full of sand and chopped up seaweed.

Is there any way to assure there are not fish parasites in the water? Seems like Ich, velvet or any other bad microbes could be floating in the water.
Of course there are parasites and microbes in the water thats why I want it. But if you are afraid of that you need to quarantine it.
Thats where our fish came from.

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do because I pump it in a vat from the shore where the waves are breaking and it is full of sand and chopped up seaweed.

Of course there are parasites and microbes in the water thats why I want it. But if you are afraid of that you need to quarantine it.
Thats where our fish came from.
Lol...quarantine Water:face-with-tears-of-joy::face-with-tears-of-joy::face-with-tears-of-joy:

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a look at this thread to see if water like this get really stale and disgusting like harbor water when it is kept but I realized that it is fine because the water doesn't have any fish so it wouldn't make it gross

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a look at this thread to see if water like this get really stale and disgusting like harbor water when it is kept but I realized that it is fine because the water doesn't have any fish so it wouldn't make it gross

My concern with unaerated natural seawater (or used aquarium water) is that, depending on the number of suspended organisms in it that die, and organics in general, the water may become anaerobic and produce hydrogen sulfide.

This is one of those situations where one cannot assume that because someone else does it, it is always OK.

If it smells like rotten eggs at all after storage, hydrogen sulfide was produced and I wouldn't use it.

Aeration eliminates concerns about hydrogen sulfide.

gaby1088

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern with unaerated natural seawater (or used aquarium water) is that, depending on the number of suspended organisms in it that die, and organics in general, the water may become anaerobic and produce hydrogen sulfide.

This is one of those situations where one cannot assume that because someone else does it, it is always OK.

If it smells like rotten eggs at all after storage, hydrogen sulfide was produced and I wouldn't use it.

Aeration eliminates concerns about hydrogen sulfide.
Bump. So to seal or not to seal?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I store it in a 65 gal tank with an airstone running 24/7 ..I've had it in there 9 months or longer with no issues..add a lil RO/DI to keep the salinity right every so often..and its fine , smells fresh as the day I collected it . tank has full glass cover

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back