2 Clowns seperated at fish store and their health journey

Schlagel Bagel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, this is going to be a sort of short term living blog post.

My tank has been up for just about 5 months now and ready to get some more live stock in the tank. Only store around me is Petco unfortunately. But as the title reads I was able to get a super deal on 2 designer clowns. A Mocha Storm and Black Ice (probably??)

The Black Ice does have a little bit missing form his tail, so I asked for a discount on him, but read some forums and learned it may grow back down the road.

Now the main reason I am making this post is because I couldn’t really find anything on the specific situation I am in with pairing these guys. Yes they were bought at the same time but were never in the same tank section or even nearby in the store. I am also not starting off the best as they are nearly the same size.

Day one they were happy to eat and everything. They are in QT with copper dosing and Nitrofurazone.

Early this morning after turning my rooms lights on I don’t know if I woke up the storm but he was really just laying on floor, then after a few minutes of getting ready he was swimming around again.

I hope their traumatic experience of getting brought home and living in QT will bring them to close friends HAHA.

The last clowns I had died from velvet I am pretty sure. But was not QTing. So I hope this goes much smoother.

I will keep this thread updated for a while and hope to receive some tips along the way.

Thanks!

IMG_3946.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3948.mp4
    5.5 MB
OP
OP
Schlagel Bagel

Schlagel Bagel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3rd day update:

I have some questions but maybe I am just paranoid.

Black Ice(ish) clown - Any time I see the tank he seems to be glass surfing like his life depends on it. I have now been feeding when I get up for work and when I get home. He does eat just not as much as the other clown. Parameters all look ok, this is QT with Copper power and Nitrofurazone.

Mocha Storm clown - the QT is up in my room, when I get up for work and turn the lights one I find Mr. Storm laying on the bottom of the tank, yesterday was in the middle of the tank, this morning wedged himself as far into the corner of one of the pvc pipes laying side ways. I could see he was breathing but just literally laying down. Got my self ready and within 10 min of turning my rooms lights on he was swimming around.

Not sparaticaly like the other clown but doing the normal swim.

I fed them some pellets today as they have been eating frozen food so wanted to see. Whats strange is even though Mocha man looked terrible laying down, he is a eating machine.

Maybe its all stress etc. from the new tank/ qt. But my last clowns got velvet im pretty sure so rather do my best to have a good display tank after leaving it fishless for so long. So Im going to stick with QT.

Anyone else heard of behavior like this, is there something I should change or add for meds or diet? Or since its only the 3rd day just watch and see.

Thanks!

attached should be a video of just after dropping some pellets this morning.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back