Both clowns died over night ?

amdp9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just posted two days ago how much I learnt about salt water tanks over the 5 months. Things seems to be pretty normal until this happened, two days go my royal Gamma died, now these two clowns died. They were my very first fish in the tank. This is so depressing that they finally started to host Anemone as well.

I checked water levels yesterday with API kit, everything was quite good. Also I did go to local fish store to had them check the water who use different kit than API. They also confirmed that water was good.

The fins were eaten after the death it seems I saw conch was picking on them when I saw them died this morning. I fed them last night and they were just fine swing around normally both were by their Anenomes. One more thing that I did see some white powder stuff covered on one two days ago. Both I thought that was salt/sand etc. I am worried that there is something going on with the tank?

I have Bristle tooth Tang and Spotted Mandarin left in the tank now. Both seem to be okay. Please advise if you see the picture helpful what was the matter with them.

New levels just checked
Salinity 1.24
PH 8
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5.0

IMG_4555.jpeg

OP
OP
A

amdp9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#fishmedic

That white stuff was not salt or sand. Most likely a disease. The medics will help you.

Sorry for your losses.
Thank you for quick response, I don’t know what to do. I am bummed about the situation. I really liked the pair never thought something like this would happen to them just overnight.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for quick response, I don’t know what to do. I am bummed about the situation. I really liked the pair never thought something like this would happen to them just overnight.
I know, I am sorry. Fish get sick in this hobby, and die. It's sad, but it's part of the hobby. The fish medics will hop on soon, to help with identifying the cause of the fish death, but if the white fuzz was salt or sand, it would have fallen off of the fish almost immediately.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the other fish die during the night as well? If so, it may be an oxygen issue

OP
OP
A

amdp9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the other fish die during the night as well? If so, it may be an oxygen issue
Other fish didn’t die but Royal gamma did die the other night. But he went in to Pistol shrimp cave for hours and I thought he died because shrimp probably messed her up. I have Bristle Tang, Mandrain still there no sign of same white film on them ?

OP
OP
A

amdp9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Visible white spots are generally indicative of ich (but without pics it’s hard to say for sure). Post mortem pics don’t usually show much.
Were any of the fish quarantined?
No none of them Quarantined. They been in the tank for 4 months only addition happened to the tank was adding corals.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it’s 32g Bio cube

Are you sure that the caudal fin damage on the clownfish happened after they died? the fins were fine beforehand?

Did you see any change in their swimming behavior?
Were they breathing fast?
Any issues with the tang yet, can you post a video so I can confirm?

I'm concerned that a pet store sold you a mandarin, knowing that your tank was new and that you are new to the hobby - mandarins are not easy fish to care for, and do best in well established tanks.

Jay

OP
OP
A

amdp9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the video of the other fish in the tank if you can see whether they are deceased or not ?

DiabloJP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have said, you have some issues in that tank and should really rehome the Bristletooth ASAP.

I'd vote disease as the most likely culprit so far from what you've posted.

What kind of filtration do you have running on the Biocube?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just posted two days ago how much I learnt about salt water tanks over the 5 months. Things seems to be pretty normal until this happened, two days go my royal Gamma died, now these two clowns died. They were my very first fish in the tank. This is so depressing that they finally started to host Anemone as well.

I checked water levels yesterday with API kit, everything was quite good. Also I did go to local fish store to had them check the water who use different kit than API. They also confirmed that water was good.

The fins were eaten after the death it seems I saw conch was picking on them when I saw them died this morning. I fed them last night and they were just fine swing around normally both were by their Anenomes. One more thing that I did see some white powder stuff covered on one two days ago. Both I thought that was salt/sand etc. I am worried that there is something going on with the tank?

I have Bristle tooth Tang and Spotted Mandarin left in the tank now. Both seem to be okay. Please advise if you see the picture helpful what was the matter with them.

New levels just checked
Salinity 1.24
PH 8
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5.0

IMG_4555.jpeg
When fish die this quickly, its often due to low oxygen, disease or both. The tails are missing on both suggesting either aggression Or was scavengers as you mentioned eating the tail after death as a conch generally wont shred two tails this quickly. Being impossible to assess carcasses, did you notice any unusual swimming behavior, swimming at surface, heavy breathing or loss of color?
White particles mentioned could also be secondary bacterial issue

OP
OP
A

amdp9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing, I have UV sterilizer and protein skimmer as well both runs 24x7 too

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I tried to post direct video didn’t work but here is YouTube link

Video unfortunately blurry and shows the chromis mainly

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back