Both clowns died over night ?

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW....

Where is the @REEF2REEF tang Police at to raid your home with a swat team??
sexy los angeles GIF by CBS
Tang police out eating donuts!!!

OP
OP
A

amdp9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any Medics on to gauge the cause of my fish, I am worried that I will loose the rest of the fish
#fishmedic
Also if y’all see any decease on the video or Clowns any recommendations how to cure the tank since I have so many expensive corals in them ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any Medics on to gauge the cause of my fish, I am worried that I will loose the rest of the fish
#fishmedic
Also if y’all see any decease on the video or Clowns any recommendations how to cure the tank since I have so many expensive corals in them ?

From the last video, the tang and the chromis both seem fine (the tang is eating algae very well). I also don't see anything wrong with the mandarin. This rules out a variety of issues such as water quality, velvet disease, etc. The problem goes back to not knowing why the clowns and the gramma died from.

The only thing I can tell you is that the fish that died may have had some disease that the surviving fish are resistant to, like Brooklynella.

Jay

OP
OP
A

amdp9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the last video, the tang and the chromis both seem fine (the tang is eating algae very well). I also don't see anything wrong with the mandarin. This rules out a variety of issues such as water quality, velvet disease, etc. The problem goes back to not knowing why the clowns and the gramma died from.

The only thing I can tell you is that the fish that died may have had some disease that the surviving fish are resistant to, like Brooklynella.

Jay
20 days ago I started to dose the tank with All for reef 8-10 drops a day. Do you think this has to do with the issue. Water lever seems normal, I did have fish store check out too. Only part I been adding to the tank is Corals. Can coral bring fish disease with them ? I am still heart broken of clowns because they were the first fish I added.
They grew as the tank matured, they became couple and started to host anemone after 4 months, moreover they died together like true love couples.
Also @Jay Hemdal do you think Prime HD AI light has to do with it. I did switch it to last week. Opened the canopy with mesh cover. Bottom are the levels I have them on. Also runs for 10 hours a day and 14 in dark with 2 hours of peak light.
Again I learning as I go, I am think possibly to upgrade the tank to 90-110g eventually but situations like these makes me think twice. Even in this tank I have input close to $3k all together with coals /fish etc

Attachments

• IMG_8813.png
    IMG_8813.png
    80.6 KB · Views: 12

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 days ago I started to dose the tank with All for reef 8-10 drops a day. Do you think this has to do with the issue. Water lever seems normal, I did have fish store check out too. Only part I been adding to the tank is Corals. Can coral bring fish disease with them ? I am still heart broken of clowns because they were the first fish I added.
They grew as the tank matured, they became couple and started to host anemone after 4 months, moreover they died together like true love couples.
Also @Jay Hemdal do you think Prime HD AI light has to do with it. I did switch it to last week. Opened the canopy with mesh cover. Bottom are the levels I have them on. Also runs for 10 hours a day and 14 in dark with 2 hours of peak light.
Again I learning as I go, I am think possibly to upgrade the tank to 90-110g eventually but situations like these makes me think twice. Even in this tank I have input close to $3k all together with coals /fish etc
Anything wet, not quarantined can bring in fish diseases.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That was the original plan, I am upgrading to 90g soon. Fish place sold me to get rid of him I guess
Make that ASAP and I hope it’s true and you either get the tank very soon or can find someone with a bigger tank. We all make mistakes and do stupid things especially as new hobbyists but I believe it’s important to learn from it and grow/improve because these are living beings.

DiabloJP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All for Reef is unlikely, but hopefully you’re monitoring your alk if you’re dosing it. 8-10 drops in a 32 daily is pretty conservative, but you need to know your rate of depletion.

Lighting isn’t the culprit here.

Don’t wait to rehome the tang, return it to your LFS now if they’ll take it (and let them know about the deaths of course).

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The All-for-Reef product is a coral supplement, and that will not harm the fish unless grossly overdosed, and then, you will see the corals die first. Same thing with changing the lights - that won't hurt the fish unless the light change was so severe as to cause them shock or something, and then, you would see issues with the corals.

As for the tang being too small for that tank - that is a long term issue, not any worry at all for the short term.

I will reiterate though, since I don't know what the other fish died from (other than it was most likely a fish disease) I can't say if the remaining fish will be at risk or not - watch them carefully for ANY symptoms.

Jay

OP
OP
A

amdp9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The All-for-Reef product is a coral supplement, and that will not harm the fish unless grossly overdosed, and then, you will see the corals die first. Same thing with changing the lights - that won't hurt the fish unless the light change was so severe as to cause them shock or something, and then, you would see issues with the corals.

As for the tang being too small for that tank - that is a long term issue, not any worry at all for the short term.

I will reiterate though, since I don't know what the other fish died from (other than it was most likely a fish disease) I can't say if the remaining fish will be at risk or not - watch them carefully for ANY symptoms.

Jay
@Jay Hemdal Thank you for detail information, you been a great resource and great help. This is another reason why I love reef2reef. I shall continue to monitor the tank. Today everything seems normal. Tang doing tang thing. Also tang was a baby when I got him and he is may be inch and half long now. Once I get 90-100g it will be his home forever. I am going to give some time to add anything to the tank now. Again thank you for everything .

OP
OP
A

amdp9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another fish died, can’t seems to future out the cause still, I checked all the levels again everything is where it supposed to be. I took a close up picture as I could for any signs of sickness. To me old saying happened to me, something went wrong everything in the tank died. I did inquired around the LFS but no help everyone said their own theory. Pretty much sad about the situation not sure what to do where to start.

Anyone else experienced something like this. What y’all did and how did you cured and what you did next.

32g bio cube (little under 6 months old)
PH 8
Ammonia 0.25 PPm
Nitrite 0 PPm
Nitrates 0 PPm
water salinity 1.26
Carline protein skimmer runs 24x7
Coraline UV sterilizer
Water changed past Sunday after clowns and Royal Gamma died.

Dosing All for reef every other day 5-10 drops a day
Target feeding corals Read Sea AB+ everyday
Phyto every two days 5-6 drops for Clam/feather dusters and other invertebrates

I am not sure what to do after seeing the tang two weeks ago I posted that I have learnt a lot of things and being proud to be a starter reefer and dealing with his within two weeks is very overwhelming.

Tang been in the tank for 3 1/2 month.
Clowns who died been there from day 2
Goby who died been there from 10 day of the tank
#med#medics

IMG_8872.jpeg IMG_8870.jpeg IMG_8871.jpeg IMG_8874.jpeg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Agree with Jay on disease versus oxygen and A protein skimmer does NOT oxygenate water. It will dissolve organics and remove them thereby helping to produce oxygen in the water through gas exchange but not physically adding oxygen. An air stone does the same with gas exchange.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back