Storing Pre-Mixed Aquavitro Salinity

kloverguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I search and wasn't able to find if anyone had experience with storing AV Salinity and what the shelflife would be. The container says ready for immediate use after mixing but doesn't address anything long term so I sent an email to AV asking if I can mix and store a month's worth of saltwater and below is the response I received them. I know this is pretty standard stuff, but since I'm new to the hobby that extra peace of mind will go a long way. Hopefully, someone else can find this useful.

"It is possible to store pre-mixed salinity, however, there are a few things to keep in mind. If you store it for up to a month, I would highly recommend keeping a tight-fitting lid on the mix. When atmosphere CO2 equilibrates with the water, it can cause a shift in Ph and KH. It would be better not to keep it heated or mixing during this time, as this can cause more CO2 to get into the mix. I would also recommend checking your levels before putting it into your tank to ensure they are still in the desired range."

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Artificial seawater that does not contain added organics (such as vitamins) can be stored as long as you want.

Some of the higher alkalinity types (including Aquavitro Salinity) will potentially have some calcium carbonate precipitated over time. Not a big deal, IMO. I used Instant Ocean over a month or more.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back