Strang Clownfish Behavior after Feeding

Brice|F4llen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, all

Long story short, I started a tank 8 months ago and suffered a nearly complete crash due to an unknown killer. Only survivor was a single clown. We initially suspected flukes and treated the DT w prazi, but ended up thinking protozoan later. The symptoms developed over time and we never made a positive ID, so the killer is still unknown.

I did an 87 day fallow period and quarantined a new blenny, new goby, and the loan survivor clown. At the beginning of the QT everyone was treated with CP between 2.2 and 2.5 ppm for about 32 days. I observed the 3 fish for the remainder of the fallow period and didn't notice anything suspicious. After moving into the DT, I'm having second thoughts.

Full disclosure: I live in an apartment so perfect conditions aren't possible for preventing cross contamination between QT and DT. The tanks are about 20 feet apart and I do use a lid on the QT. I do use a few pieces of gear on both tanks, but I use bleach and dry the equipment out for a few days before using it on the other tank. With that said, I can't rule out potential cross contamination with 100% confidence.

On March 17, I moved the 3 fish into the DT. I'm noticing some behavior in the clown that I'm suspicious of. Particularly after feeding, he seems irritated. After 2-3 hours or so, symptoms seem to subside. When he's "affected", he seems to favor pointing his head down a bit. He also gets a little jumpy/twitchy like something is irritating him. Breathing increases quite a bit. Haven't witnessed any flashing, but I have caught him "yawning" at least a handful of times. The yawning doesn't seem to be exclusive to times directly after feeding. His poop is also white but definitely isn't stringy. It's more of a crumbly consistency? I'm not sure how long his poop has been white, but it's probably been as long as I can remember. He's definitely still feeding, though perhaps less vigorously than normal?

On March 29, I dosed Prazi (could explain the decrease in feeding?). Currently been running carbon for around 20 hours and I'm getting ready to do my 2nd dose in the morning (unless we decide otherwise here).

I really appreciate you guys taking the time. There's also a chance I'm just paranoid. Not sure. I'm here for the 2nd opinion though.

78F
34.5 PPT
Ammonia badge says 0

Tank has inverts and fish only. No coral.

On Hand:
  • Copper Power
  • Rally Pro
  • Methylene Blue
  • PraziPro
  • MetroPlex
  • KanaPlex
  • General Cure
OneDrive video

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, all

Long story short, I started a tank 8 months ago and suffered a nearly complete crash due to an unknown killer. Only survivor was a single clown. We initially suspected flukes and treated the DT w prazi, but ended up thinking protozoan later. The symptoms developed over time and we never made a positive ID, so the killer is still unknown.

I did an 87 day fallow period and quarantined a new blenny, new goby, and the loan survivor clown. At the beginning of the QT everyone was treated with CP between 2.2 and 2.5 ppm for about 32 days. I observed the 3 fish for the remainder of the fallow period and didn't notice anything suspicious. After moving into the DT, I'm having second thoughts.

Full disclosure: I live in an apartment so perfect conditions aren't possible for preventing cross contamination between QT and DT. The tanks are about 20 feet apart and I do use a lid on the QT. I do use a few pieces of gear on both tanks, but I use bleach and dry the equipment out for a few days before using it on the other tank. With that said, I can't rule out potential cross contamination with 100% confidence.

On March 17, I moved the 3 fish into the DT. I'm noticing some behavior in the clown that I'm suspicious of. Particularly after feeding, he seems irritated. After 2-3 hours or so, symptoms seem to subside. When he's "affected", he seems to favor pointing his head down a bit. He also gets a little jumpy/twitchy like something is irritating him. Breathing increases quite a bit. Haven't witnessed any flashing, but I have caught him "yawning" at least a handful of times. The yawning doesn't seem to be exclusive to times directly after feeding. His poop is also white but definitely isn't stringy. It's more of a crumbly consistency? I'm not sure how long his poop has been white, but it's probably been as long as I can remember. He's definitely still feeding, though perhaps less vigorously than normal?

On March 29, I dosed Prazi (could explain the decrease in feeding?). Currently been running carbon for around 20 hours and I'm getting ready to do my 2nd dose in the morning (unless we decide otherwise here).

I really appreciate you guys taking the time.

78F
34.5 PPT
Ammonia badge says 0

On Hand:
  • Copper Power
  • Rally Pro
  • Methylene Blue
  • PraziPro
  • MetroPlex
  • KanaPlex
  • General Cure
OneDrive video

I don’t see any issue in the description of your treatments. I doubt that cross contamination is an issue here.
What are you feeding the clown?

Edit: I was able to open the video. Tough to see, but I wonder, this is a longing clown, could this be a behavior thing?

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi, all

I really appreciate you guys taking the time.

78F
34.5 PPT
Ammonia badge says 0

On Hand:
  • Copper Power
  • Rally Pro
  • Methylene Blue
  • PraziPro
  • MetroPlex
  • KanaPlex
  • General Cure
OneDrive video
This is cross threaded. Please refrain as you now have answers all over the place.

OP
OP
Brice|F4llen

Brice|F4llen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for this... Unsure how it happened. Can you delete? I did try to make an edit once

OP
OP
Brice|F4llen

Brice|F4llen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see any issue in the description of your treatments. I doubt that cross contamination is an issue here.
What are you feeding the clown?

Edit: I was able to open the video. Tough to see, but I wonder, this is a longing clown, could this be a behavior thing?

Jay
I feed the clown TDO, Mysis, and every now and then Seaweed Extreme.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed the clown TDO, Mysis, and every now and then Seaweed Extreme.
OK, not likely diet then. I guess I’d just continue with the second prazi treatment, I don’t see any other treatment warranted right now.
Jay

OP
OP
Brice|F4llen

Brice|F4llen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, not likely diet then. I guess I’d just continue with the second prazi treatment, I don’t see any other treatment warranted right now.
Jay
Alright. Will proceed with 2nd prazi dose in the morning and follow up with any developments

OP
OP
Brice|F4llen

Brice|F4llen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal, will you please take a second look?

I'm also seeing a slight amount of haziness on the lips and his right side-fin.

The prazi didn't seem to help. I'm really at a loss here. I'm thinking Brook

Video

OP
OP
Brice|F4llen

Brice|F4llen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My QT just finished copper and is on Prazi now. I follow Jay's QT protocol. I don't really have a 2nd sterile tank.

Should I treat the DT with Metro? Either that or I can do a 90m bath in Ruby and set him up in a bucket?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to Walmart to see if I can find a 10-gal

Sorry - I've been offline since yesterday evening.

In the video, I can't visually rule out Brooklynella, but I'm still stuck on the idea that since this is a longfin clown, it is predisposed to developmental issues. I can't tell how much of the swimming issues are caused by the fins versus any disease. The skin cloudiness could be the same thing. The rapid breathing is probably not developmental though (thus my asking to go with the second prazi treatment).

If it were Brook or velvet, I would think that the disease would have progressed to death by now. The prazi would have resolved the gill flukes. I'm stumped as to what else it could be.

Jay

OP
OP
Brice|F4llen

Brice|F4llen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal,

I caught the clown and gave him a 90 minute bath (5ml/gal) in Rally Pro.

I moved him into a new QT dosed with CP @ 1.25ppm and General Cure. Current plan is to raise copper .5ppm per day for the next 2 days to reach therapeutic levels and then to dose General Cure a second time per manufacturer instructions.

I realize the medication situation isn't ideal, but I figured this was the widest net I could throw and the best chance I had.

However, I am pleased to say that I'm seeing dramatic improvement in the clown and it's only been a few hours.

I caught my Blenny and my Goby who are currently in the Rally Pro bath and consequently the DT is fallow. So back at square one. I'm thinking a 45 day fallow on the DT @ 82F or so. Thoughts?

I'm at a complete loss as to how something could have gotten in my system. My DT went through an 87 day fallow, no new inhabitants were introduced, and the 3 fish that were in the DT all went through a copper treatment before being reintroduced. Either I cross contaminated during the fallow period or he was carrying something that resisted the copper and stayed dormant until now.

Last edited:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 63 34.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back