Strange alk/calc

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current tank is 75d/30r/29s i started it 4years ago. Moved it and upgraded 2 years ago. Everything was great. Couldnt stop the growth. Fraging sps/lps/softies like a mad man. Shortly before i moved my montis had a strange problem. Random patches of white would appear. No pests, all other corals were fine. I researched as much as i could. Couldnt find a reason. Then i moved.
Had a half full display and sump in place and cycling for 2 weeks. Moved the tank in one trip. Kept all rocks, inhabitants and water. Kept a few cups of sand added to the new live sand. Moved the 30l fuge in tact with 6" dsb. Just about doubled my water volume. For a while everything did great. I started to think the new salt water had something that was missing. Montis started to recover. And grew :).
I had tested for a month straight when i set up and found my doses. Then once a week for a month. Then monthly.
I decided for various reasons to ditch my dsb. Mainly because my macro fauna had not been as good since i introduced it. So i closed of the refugium and completely emptied it. I did not scrub glass. But i did remove all sand and water. Put in new live sand with a few cups of my old sand. Put a quarter of tbe macros back. And let that run closed off for a week. Then i opened it up. Tested for a few months and all was well. Changed my dose a bit but fine otherwise. And within a few months and a pod order my fauna is back to its original state. One square inch of my rouble is packed with critters! :)
About a year in i had started slacking on testing. It had been a few months. I noticed the montis having a different issue. They were retracting so far all you saw was specs of color. They didnt die. Just look awful. Then a few other sps started to get rough. And zoas were shrinking and letting go. I tested and all parameters were off. Nitrate 40ppm! Mag was lil low calc and alk were high! I did a 25% water change and stopped dosing. I ajusted the mag. Started back carbon dosing. And kept testing. Here is where it gets wierd. For atleast 3 weeks now i have been testing daily. My calc and alk have been bouncing around. They drop really slowly but some days remain the same or even lighly rise. I have not dosed alk or calc for a week and my calcium tests between 430 and 440 consistantly. My alk has consistantly dropped slowly. Like .1dkh a day. Which is baffling. I used to keep it at 12. But when this happened i thought i should go a bit lower in case this ever happens again. So i let it drop to 9.6 then dosed enough to raise it to 10. Brs calc. It raised it to 10. 5 the next night. So i let it fall to 9.6 again and dosed less than half the recomended dose. It was exacly 10 the next night. I have no idea whats going on. I was dosing 3oz+ a day! Now i dose pretty much 0 and it stays the same. Some zoas and some sps are fine. All lps are fine. Red planet and purple acros fine. Nems fish all fine. Montis are retracted and some sps have brown algae growing on some tips. I am starting to believe my lights might be to high percentage. So i lowered that recently and raised the fixture. But not sure if that matters.
Probably missed things there but its a start. Opinions?

Screenshot_2018-02-28-11-54-51.png

20180227_234830.jpg

Screenshot_2018-02-28-12-01-19.png

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked magnesium?

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was low. But i corrected. Just like the alk the dose raised it too high!. Not horrible but 1420

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was low. But i corrected. Just like the alk the dose raised it too high!. Not horrible but 1420

What are the expiry dates on your kits?

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If your up to it 1.135 grams of sodium bicarbonate in 1 gallon of ro/di will be 10 dkh. May not work with hanna. Id check your alk kit.

Whats your heater look like? Lots of calcium deposits?

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your up to it 1.135 grams of sodium bicarbonate in 1 gallon of ro/di will be 10 dkh. May not work with hanna. Id check your alk kit.

Whats your heater look like? Lots of calcium deposits?
There was calc deposits but theyve stopped since the levels dropped

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went back through my threads and found my light height and percentage. I think i know now ghat my lights are fine. So im racking my brain. It occured to me that i had a thermometer break in my sump a while back. I fished out all the glass and metal with a magnet. I thought i was very thourough. But i just swirled the magnet on the bottom of my sump to see and foun about 10 tiny chunks of rusty metal. So far. I guess I will be doing the very hard job of removing my Sump and washing it out thoroughly. Could this be my monti killer?? I hope none of these chunks got pushed into the display from the pump

20180228_151547.jpg

20180228_151757.jpg

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went back through my threads and found my light height and percentage. I think i know now ghat my lights are fine. So im racking my brain. It occured to me that i had a thermometer break in my sump a while back. I fished out all the glass and metal with a magnet. I thought i was very thourough. But i just swirled the magnet on the bottom of my sump to see and foun about 10 tiny chunks of rusty metal. So far. I guess I will be doing the very hard job of removing my Sump and washing it out thoroughly. Could this be my monti killer?? I hope none of these chunks got pushed into the display from the pump

20180228_151547.jpg

20180228_151757.jpg

Id suspect that for sure. Depends what the metal.is. id run metazorb.

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it has much to do with my calcium and alkalinity not dropping

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea why my Alk and calcium are acting so funny @Randy Holmes-Farley

Meaning why they are not declining and hence why the corals are not growing well?

I’m not sure, but often these problems are not caused by the major tests we do.

It can be caused by biological issues (pathogens) or chemicals we do not usually test for (e.g. copper).

What water source are you using?

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My own RO water which has crept to three occasionally but is that 0 currently

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just can't believe the drop. I was dosing so much daily of each and now practically nothing. Whatever it is has halted growth in its tracks. Any opinion on the rusty metal I have been fishing out?

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. I believe it was red with black pelets. Im not positive though :/

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's say for argument's sake that it was silver what would that mean? And also the little metal black balls don't bother you at all?

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read an article that said thermometer balls are either lead or Steel. Lead is not magnetic therefore they must be steel. Any issue with those in the tank

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The iron in steel is no concern. Other metals in an alloy might be, but I’d speculate this isn’t the issue. Liquid mercury in the tank might be a cause, but I’m not certain what form that problem would take.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back