Strange aquarium surprise of the day - flourescent orange detritus???

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So never a boring moment with the reef tank. I suddenly have an accumulation of bright orange (and I mean bright orange, as in 'matches the nuclear glow of my orange rock flower anemone' orange) detritus in one corner of my tank, and I am totally at a loss...

It has all accumulated in the corner in which I just put a bunch of red ogo. The pincushion urchin has spent the past 48 hours in a loving embrace in said corner, with said ogo, devouring it and my hard earned money along with it. This is all that's changed, and it has to be somehow related, but I can't think of how and what. That corner is also where waste tends to end up, so maybe it's blowing from somewhere else I suppose...

Photographic evidence below. Thanks!

IMG_2002.jpg

Correction on 'only changes': I also started putting PNS Pro Bio and PNS YelloSno from AlgaeBarn in at the same time as the new ogo, but can't imagine those are responsible

If an urchin eats enough red ogo, will they poo orange?? Because that's almost what it looks like

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen my urchin expel neon orange balls (I think they are removing old venom sacs or whatever you call them).

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's very likely dead or dying coralline algae. If I cover an area of coralline covered rock for a period of time it will be florescent orange with the blue lights on. It's really cool.

Back