I've had this Urchin for 2 years and he's the best urchin ever. But I forgot what kind he is

Subnautica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the years I've had quite a few urchins. 3 Tuxedos, 2 Pincushions, etc... But all of them couldn't survive more than a year except this guy. The thing is, 99% of the time he always stays on the glass and NEVER bothers any coral frags or knock them out, unlike the pincushion and tuxedo which was super annoying to me. I was curious why this guy is different/has such "good manner" ?

Also he looks like a longspine but I think they look a bit different? What kind is this guy?

20220912_192529.jpg

2inch in diameter

1000058741.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a Burrowing Urchin, Echinometra mathaei:
Black/Oblong Rock-boring Urchin - Echinometra oblonga; it could also be the Burrowing Urchin, E. mathaei, as the two are similar enough that E. oblonga was once considered a morph of E. mathaei,* but - based on the coloration of your specimen - E. oblonga seems more likely to me.

Either way, both species primarily reside in the rocks and primarily feed on turf algae of various kinds** - so a good herbivore for your tank.

*Source:
**Source:
An easy way to distinguish adult P. gratiosa from adults of Echinometra species like E. mathaei or E. oblonga is size: if the urchin is bigger than ~3.5cm, it's an Echinometra. The other easy way to distinguish is by looking at the periproct plates (the "teeth" around the urchin's anus); P. gratiosa will only have 3-5 periproct plates while an Echinometra species will have a bunch (for examples, see the links below; the second pic of the Lizard Island Guide shows P. gratiosa's periproct plates, and figure 8 from the Semantic Scholar link shows the periproct of E. mathaei - it's a lot harder to see the periproct of E. mathaei clearly on live specimens, but they also have a pic of the area in figure 1). The French Wikipedia page lists some more subtle differences, but the methods above would be my suggestion for differentiating them.
species: Parasalenia gratiosa in taxonomy (Lizard Island Field Guide) https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Description-on-anatomy-and-histology-of-Echinometra-Piryaei-Mostafavi/a4efce70d6fcd0cc081b552033101ca768d9552f Edit: Forgot to add the French Wikipedia link:
All that said, Echinometra species are reportedly much more common, so I'd assume that's what you have.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Over the years I've had quite a few urchins. 3 Tuxedos, 2 Pincushions, etc... But all of them couldn't survive more than a year except this guy. The thing is, 99% of the time he always stays on the glass and NEVER bothers any coral frags or knock them out, unlike the pincushion and tuxedo which was super annoying to me. I was curious why this guy is different/has such "good manner" ?

Also he looks like a longspine but I think they look a bit different? What kind is this guy?

20220912_192529.jpg

2inch in diameter

1000058741.jpg
Pencil urchin and funny is ive had mine also 2 years. Drags Nothing around

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pencil urchin Eucidaris tribuloides (the most common "pencil urchin" in the hobby) does, yes (at least when they don't have access to sponges).
I thought I read that. As I’m trying to grow both corals and cryptic sponges, I won’t be getting any pencil urchins, even though they look cool.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm thats weird because mine ever ate coral at all
If you had E. tribuloides and it didn't eat corals, then it had something it preferred over them in the tank (it's reportedly spongivorous in the wild, so some sponges would be its top preference, but they'll eat literally just about anything if they're hungry enough):
To clarify again here though, your urchin in the pics of this thread is not a pencil urchin - it's most likely Echinometra mathaei, which is herbivorous.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
Subnautica

Subnautica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had E. tribuloides and it didn't eat corals, then it had something it preferred over them in the tank (it's reportedly spongivorous in the wild, so some sponges would be its top preference, but they'll eat literally just about anything if they're hungry enough):
To clarify again here though, your urchin in the pics of this thread is not a pencil urchin - it's most likely Echinometra mathaei, which is herbivorous.
Yeah he def doesn't look like a Pencil urchin to me. He'a closer to Mathaei even though still a little bit different I think.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My purple spine urchin's spines got progressively shorter over the past year. He cam in TBS Ocean live rock. I think he is adapting to tank life by letting his spines get scraped shorter.

Early on
image3.jpeg

And now

image1 (22).jpeg

It looks like he might be left handed...

SirenBethany

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20220912_192529.jpg

2inch in diameter

1000058741.jpg
It's a purple short spine Urchin, some call them red urchins as individual colors can vary

Attachments

• IMG_20240315_144725689.jpg
    IMG_20240315_144725689.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 13

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a long spine. This is a long spine.

It looks more like a purple urchin that I used to collect here in New York by the dozens.
But I can't tell from here.

I used to have an urchin collecting business and would take 50 on every dive. They are very common.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back