What type of Eucidaris? Sold as Pencil Urchin

LagoonReefLife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if anyone knows the species of this pencil urchin?

I mostly want to confirm/deny if it’s a known coral or clam eater?

BC384EE4-07F5-4628-9BC4-48415FEE218A.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m assuming it’s a standard Slate pencil urchin
Yeah, looks like E. tribuloides to me. Not sure on the clam eating, but with regards to the coral eating:
For the pencil urchin (the top one is scientific study based, the bottom one is aquarium hobby/industry observations):
Yeah, from what I can find, these guys are technically considered spongivores* (i.e. they prefer to eat sponges), but when they can't get sponges they've been found to eat just about literally anything (one study found that these would even eat the wooden or fiberglass tank walls if starved enough**); so I'd imagine that how reef-safe they are likely depends on how much food they have available that they would prefer over the corals in the tank.
*Source:
**Source:
Looks to be Eucidaris tribuloides:

"its search for food, which can include sponges, corals, bivalves, gastropods, bryozoans, along with detritus and some algae."*

"It feeds primarily on algae and coral but they can feed on small invertebrates as well. "**

*Source:
**Source:
Edit: From the threads I've seen about damage caused by these guys, it seems they prefer to eat LPS.

OP
OP
L

LagoonReefLife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, looks like E. tribuloides to me. Not sure on the clam eating, but with regards to the coral eating:

Thanks! I have a few frags and a clam I don’t really want to risk finding gnawed on.

I moved him into my refugium for now, probably happier than ever. Shame it’s really neat looking.

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got one of these too. It’s really hard to tell if it’s alive by the tubefeets alone compared to my other urchins but it seems to do fine in the sump. No handling risk.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 106 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back