Strange bugs/slugs on zoa frag plugs

ReefSlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got these zoas a few weeks ago, dipper in Bayer and they've been doing great. The last few days however, I've been noticing these tiny black and white bugs crawling around on the frag plugs. I redipped a few yesterday but found a bug on another frag plug today, so I'm trying to get an ID for if this becomes a problem. The zoas are all still opening and happy, there's no tissue damage and I have yet to see the bugs on the actual corals themselves, just the plugs. They move very slowly and shmear away like a slug would, and are not your typical zoa eating nudibranch. Tried to get a picture but it's very tough due to their size and color. The bug is circled and on a speck of coralline. They definitely are not pods.

zoa bud.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I got these zoas a few weeks ago, dipper in Bayer and they've been doing great. The last few days however, I've been noticing these tiny black and white bugs crawling around on the frag plugs. I redipped a few yesterday but found a bug on another frag plug today, so I'm trying to get an ID for if this becomes a problem. The zoas are all still opening and happy, there's no tissue damage and I have yet to see the bugs on the actual corals themselves, just the plugs. They move very slowly and shmear away like a slug would, and are not your typical zoa eating nudibranch. Tried to get a picture but it's very tough due to their size and color. The bug is circled and on a speck of coralline. They definitely are not pods.

zoa bud.jpg
Hard to see anything under heavy blue lighting
Please retake under white lighting

OP
OP
ReefSlice

ReefSlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a few more shots to get a better look at them with a filter, it's tough because they are so tiny. These ones are on my sandbed, corals still look okay and these seem to not crawl on the coral themselves. I'm thinking some type of flatworm. Anyone ever seen these?

Attachments

• flatworms.jpg
    flatworms.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 169

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just zoomed in on one your pictures and looked like some kind of isopod with eyes on top of the head.read this article if it looks like what your looking at as you will get clearer better look than us.
Use your phone to zoom right in and change the size/ clarity if picture if your phone allows it
Not all isopods are bad.
Im not saying what you got is isopods but looks similar shape in your photo but it's bleary.it could also be some kind of " octopod" can never remember how spell octopod or something like this which little woodlice looking bugs or some are anyhow. But without a clearer picture I think people will struggle to id

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220217-210246_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220217-210246_Chrome.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 177
OP
OP
ReefSlice

ReefSlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just zoomed in on one your pictures and looked like some kind of isopod with eyes on top of the head.read this article if it looks like what your looking at as you will get clearer better look than us.
Use your phone to zoom right in and change the size/ clarity if picture if your phone allows it
Not all isopods are bad.
Im not saying what you got is isopods but looks similar shape in your photo but it's bleary.it could also be some kind of " octopod" can never remember how spell octopod or something like this which little woodlice looking bugs or some are anyhow. But without a clearer picture I think people will struggle to id
I've had isopods in a tank before and these are a lot different but the white/black spots on these do make them look similar. These move very slow and are soft. They just kind of smudge/smear when touched.

OP
OP
ReefSlice

ReefSlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone out there ever seen these? They seem to be multiplying. Still not seeing them on coral nor do I have any upset corals, but would like to know what I'm dealing with here and if I should do anything to try and get rid of them.

jtone_philthy_aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got them to hey.
I just quickly read through your thread and myself have had 3 torches die in 3 months ,2 weeks and 1 day respectively, and first torch was doing very well for some time then bought a lobo and then black bugs appeared on and around that then first torch slowly went down hill but next 2 torches died quickly indeed .maybe these bloody little black bugs .
Not seen Any on the lobo for months now and it's doing great.but my green slimer really struggling.
I haven't tried any of the Dr g's or Interceptor that been suggested yet as they only on the one sps coral now but actually I'm maybe got 2 kinds as one seem to be in and around the rocks and sand also but maybe just trying hunt new corals to eat idk.
But I'm a little hesitant of adding chemicals to tank so I will decide if add anymore corals and they start eating them then will have to bite the bullet I guess pffft.

Good luck with your battle ^_^

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
theyre a sphere isopod similar to cirolanid as pictured below and although deemed harmless can be a nuisance in numbers

1646176452643.png

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I too just blew up picture, the lower is isopod as mentioned but the upper one looks like a Harpacticoid Copepod which is classified as an ostrocod

OP
OP
ReefSlice

ReefSlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So they are definitely flatworms and not isopods as suspected, I'm starting to see them on my glass. I've never seen them in this color variation and I'm not sure if I should worry or not. Anyone else seen these black/gray flatworms with a white dot on their heads? I'll get a better picture of one on my glass tomorrow with the typical flatworm shape. Not sure whether to try and eliminate them or just leave them alone.

elderdaffodil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even up close they can appear as flatworms. My initial encounter with them me and this woman I was trying to help thought they were flat worms. She jumped the gun and bought flat worm x the next day and used it but didn’t kill them.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back