Strange Fish Actions

DoubleSolid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My firefish has been acting strange. he was very active yesterday, but today he is in his bolt-hole, and he has just been wiggling in it all day. I lifted up the rock and he just sat there. I poked him and he moved over a little bit. I put the rock back and he went right under it again. he has been under the rock wiggling for the entire day. I fed him a little more that I think I should have yesterday, but he ate all the food, so I wasn't worried. Is this a sign of some sort of problem?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is fairly normal behavior for a firefish. They can be very reclusive, especially if they feel they have reason to be afraid. A firefish in my 150 was being bullied by a juv Koran Angel. I removed the Koran Angel and to this day (6 months later) it still hides 90% of the time. :confused:

Snookin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think lifting the rocks and poking your fish in the face is always a good idea. Then after that...feed the tank...It looks like you are doing everything right and your tank will be sustainable for years to come.

Kyuss414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think lifting the rocks and poking your fish in the face is always a good idea. Then after that...feed the tank...It looks like you are doing everything right and your tank will be sustainable for years to come.
245785_5_.jpg

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you do in such a situation, specifically?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, leave him alone as he's checking everything out from his cave.
He might be out of fire :p

OP
OP
D

DoubleSolid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the fish wedged in between two of the rocks today. Dead. Oh well, I will give my tank a few days to cycle and recover, then try a clownfish.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the fish wedged in between two of the rocks today. Dead. Oh well, I will give my tank a few days to cycle and recover, then try a clownfish.

The tank was not completely cycled?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Trolling is really not called for. Perhaps assisting others is not really your forte.

Last edited:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank was not completely cycled?
X2 fire fish are way too fragile for cycling tanks. Most believe no fish should be used to cycle but I personally dislike damsels and am not bothered by their use

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damsels shouldn't even be sold in my opinion, lol. They will survive just about anything, and then become territorial and terrorize every other fish you put in the tank. Use a raw shrimp to cycle a tank before you put fish in it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back