Strange one

  • Thread starter Thread starter AnthonyQ
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

AnthonyQ

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 21, 2026
Messages
31
Reaction score
24
Location
Ireland
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good night all,

Strange one here.

I got a shrimp two weeks ago, semi large shrimp that has been rather active.

Then tonight I looked into the aquarium and I spotted that same shrimp along with a second that's completely translucent.

What's the story here, has anyone seen this before?

69df18bc-d54d-44a3-9fb4-de964d882ae5.jpg
 
Good night all,

Strange one here.

I got a shrimp two weeks ago, semi large shrimp that has been rather active.

Then tonight I looked into the aquarium and I spotted that same shrimp along with a second that's completely translucent.

What's the story here, has anyone seen this before?

69df18bc-d54d-44a3-9fb4-de964d882ae5.jpg
Impossible to get a good photo with my phone aswell
 
Hard to see, you sure it didn’t molt?
 
So they split during the molt?
Same pyshical size of the first one
Let’s hope not. The translucent one should be slightly smaller. The reason for the molt is because the exoskeleton

Well darn it @Uncle99 you are milliseconds faster than me all day here!
 
Grab the translucent one. I’ll bet you dollars to donuts it’s just the shell blowing around in the current
 
So what should the scenario actually be?

At the moment I have both moving around in the tank
That you had two.
I never seen one make two of them same size.
They will look identical, but alive, with new organs?
Really?
 
Original is now hidden. I'll see if he comes back out and I'll get a better picture
If you have two alive, then no molt.
It’s not possible for a shrimp to replicate except fry, but this would be hundreds and maybe 1mm in size.
It’s not unusual for the molt to look alive as it waves in tune with currents.
Cleaner shrimp are male and female at the same time so any two produce fry every 2 weeks.

Here are examples of our cleaner fry.
IMG_0632.jpeg
 
Good night all,

Strange one here.

I got a shrimp two weeks ago, semi large shrimp that has been rather active.

Then tonight I looked into the aquarium and I spotted that same shrimp along with a second that's completely translucent.

What's the story here, has anyone seen this before?

69df18bc-d54d-44a3-9fb4-de964d882ae5.jpg
These shrimp molt regularly and will duplicate themselves. They will even feed off the molt for added calcium
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new