Strange Ricordea Mushroom Behaviour

Campbell Bradley

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 20, 2023
Messages
33
Reaction score
19
Location
Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this ricordea mushroom for a while now and it started off very small, I've been giving it room to grow and it just keeps getting larger and developing these large pouches of what I assume to be water. But just of recently it has started budding and producing new mushrooms. does anybody know what these are or why they have appeared? I have attached a photo of the tank and a picture of the coral when I first purchased it.

20240506_173514.jpg 20231118_185639.jpg
 
difficult to say as the picture is from its side. my first guess is that you're referring to the bigger "bubbles" it seems to be producing towards the middle? ricordea yuma, and florida seem to do this often depending on tank conditions.
 
It looks to me like it is bouncing. Those “pouches” are benign tumors. Little is known about why mushrooms do this, but it is harmless, and the mushrooms that do it are often rare and pricey.
 
It looks to me like it is bouncing. Those “pouches” are benign tumors. Little is known about why mushrooms do this, but it is harmless, and the mushrooms that do it are often rare and pricey.
I will take a few more photos later today and get some better angles, but im happy to know that it could be rare and pricey because I snagged this one for $50 aud
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 25.9%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new