Strange situation about hermit crab! Please help!

Doobie65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought some superman mushrooms cheap a little while back. They were cheap because they were not attached to rock, just free floating. I put some rocks and shells in a big glass jar and let the mushrooms attach. One attached to a shell of some kind so I glued that to a rock. Nothing was in the shell at the time. Fast forward 2 months and one of my hermits high jacked the shell lol. So the mushroom is attached to the shell AND it is glued to the rock! Hermit will surely die because it cant move. Should I try to put another shell close by in hopes he will high jack again?? This is crazy! This im sure is something not many have encountered lol. Any ideas will surely be appreciated. Had to wait until lights were almost out so that mushrooms would shrink so you can see the hermit. During the day he is totally blanketed by these huge mushrooms haha poor guy. Thanks.

20200908_205254.jpg

Attachments

• 20200908_205301.mp4
    32.4 MB

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought some superman mushrooms cheap a little while back. They were cheap because they were not attached to rock, just free floating. I put some rocks and shells in a big glass jar and let the mushrooms attach. One attached to a shell of some kind so I glued that to a rock. Nothing was in the shell at the time. Fast forward 2 months and one of my hermits high jacked the shell lol. So the mushroom is attached to the shell AND it is glued to the rock! Hermit will surely die because it cant move. Should I try to put another shell close by in hopes he will high jack again?? This is crazy! This im sure is something not many have encountered lol. Any ideas will surely be appreciated. Had to wait until lights were almost out so that mushrooms would shrink so you can see the hermit. During the day he is totally blanketed by these huge mushrooms haha poor guy. Thanks.

20200908_205254.jpg

Hermits are weirdos.
just give him another shell and he’ll be good to go.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I would go to craft or dollar store , even LFS and buy some empty shells in hopes crab takes to one of them.

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20200908_205254.jpg
Okay first thing first... im gonna need a sample of those shrooms...
But in all seriousness if you want him to move there will need to be one or 2 fresh shells within a safe distance (read that as right next to) the current non mobile home. Good luck!

catalystNfacade

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the hermit does move have you thought about plugging up the original shell with putty or super gluing a small rock over the entrance?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Definitely put shells where he can easily reach them. Also, put food right next to him, so he doesn't starve in the meantime. Poor li'l moron didn't check that his new mobile home was mobile!

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 39 27.5%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 29 20.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 34 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back