Strange spot on pufferfish

Toshira99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I turned on the lights for my dogface puffer’s tank this morning he swam over to me and I noticed this weird spot on his face. He seems normal otherwise. Water parameters are in check and the other two fish in the tank seem fine, no strange spots. (Housed with a blue spotted puffer and a flame Angel.) Is it an injury maybe?
ECCC6746-DB47-459B-B120-D528637D792E.jpeg

(the brown ring below his right eye.)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
When I turned on the lights for my dogface puffer’s tank this morning he swam over to me and I noticed this weird spot on his face. He seems normal otherwise. Water parameters are in check and the other two fish in the tank seem fine, no strange spots. (Housed with a blue spotted puffer and a flame Angel.) Is it an injury maybe?
ECCC6746-DB47-459B-B120-D528637D792E.jpeg

(the brown ring below his right eye.)
Looks like a bacterial tuft
Assure as these guys can be messy eaters that you do not have elevated ammonia or nitrate
Keep an eye on it. Assure water quality is good
If treatment needed should it worsen- I trust ruby rally pro starting with a 90 minute bath then regular treatment
What test kits are you using?
What are you feeding it?

OP
OP
T

Toshira99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a bacterial tuft
Assure as these guys can be messy eaters that you do not have elevated ammonia or nitrate
Keep an eye on it. Assure water quality is good
If treatment needed should it worsen- I trust ruby rally pro starting with a 90 minute bath then regular treatment
What test kits are you using?
What are you feeding it?
I’m using the liquid API test kits rn, planning on getting a Hanna kit soon. I feed a variety of foods; krill, clams soaked in vitachem, brine/mysis. Ammonia (0) and nitrates (20ppm) are within range, nothing out of the norm. I recently upgraded them to this aquarium a few weeks ago (after cycling for a little over a month and testing with some hermit crabs/feeding the crabs krill) so I’ve been watching the parameters closely. Maybe he’s a little stressed from the move or something? I’ve had him for about a year and this hasn’t happened before/has been fed the same food. Thank you for your advice, I’ll definitely get some of the ruby red pro just in case.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’m using the liquid API test kits rn, planning on getting a Hanna kit soon. I feed a variety of foods; krill, clams soaked in vitachem, brine/mysis. Ammonia (0) and nitrates (20ppm) are within range, nothing out of the norm. I recently upgraded them to this aquarium a few weeks ago (after cycling for a little over a month and testing with some hermit crabs/feeding the crabs krill) so I’ve been watching the parameters closely. Maybe he’s a little stressed from the move or something? I’ve had him for about a year and this hasn’t happened before/has been fed the same food. Thank you for your advice, I’ll definitely get some of the ruby red pro just in case.
With use of the API kits, you’re likely getting a false reading in which you levels are higher than you see
I would take a water sample to a trusted LFS that does Not use API water Kia and see what readings they come up with

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 15 34.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back