Strange things are afoot at our house...

underwaterfirefighter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife has always asked if we could get certain fish for our tank while we would be at our LFS. Of course the fish she wanted generally fell into the "NOT REEF SAFE" category. She has also always loved bowfront style tanks. So not long ago she got a idea that we should get an oceanic 144 half circle set up. I wasn't really too excited about having a bowfront until she suggested that we keep our 120 that we never have set up and make it the reef tank and get a 144 to be set up as a fowlr. That way I can have my reef and she can have the fish she wants! I of course said "what an excellent idea". :bigsmile: So we took down the 90 gallon we were using as our reef tank. I built a quick 2x4 stand for a 50 breeder we had to hold the few fish we have. A quick trip (14 hours) to Southern Jersey to pick up a used 144 half circle, and we are underway. It is going to be a long, hard process, but it will be awesome in the end. Here are a couple pics of the initial progress. more to follow as we proceed.

IMG00183-20110213-1529.jpg

IMG00185-20110213-1605.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
OP
OP
underwaterfirefighter

underwaterfirefighter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more pic. The 144 on its back for a good cleaning. I need to do a lil work on the stand to make it what we want. Also thinking about running the plumbing into the wall and through the baseplate into the crawl space, then into the garrage and have a sump room in there. Luckily the garage floor is about three feet below the height of the living room floor so it should work out pretty good.

Pic of the 144 in cleaning mode...

IMG00188-20110219-1431[1].jpg

Last edited:

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are one lucky man to have a wife that wants another tank in the house;) "Happy wife, Happy life"

MimicOcto8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you are lucky is an under statement! my wife wont even come into the fish store with me :(

OP
OP
underwaterfirefighter

underwaterfirefighter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies everyone. Reeefsandrotts, we did not. Tank came from just outside of Salem NJ from a fellow reefer who is leaving the hobby. We are very excited about it. I hope to find time tomorrow afternoon to do some more cleaning and work on the stand.

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome man. I know how you feel the fiance's FOWLR is bigger then my reef....:(

Actually you are doing better then me. Hers is almost three times the size of mine. I have a 46 gallon bowfront she has 125 gallon.

VelasCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife could say she wants a 5 gallon FOWL and I would be ecstatic! Shoot, she could say anything positive about the hobby and I would love it. You are a lucky man!

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank! They have one at the Seattle Aquarium and have it set up with fish and corals that are only native to Hawaii and it is really sweet!

OP
OP
underwaterfirefighter

underwaterfirefighter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again everyone. I am very lucky. She still gets mad at me for looking at R2R too much. But at least she is interested in the hobby. :bigsmile:

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again everyone. I am very lucky. She still gets mad at me for looking at R2R too much. But at least she is interested in the hobby. :bigsmile:

that is mine exactly!! she is the one that got me into all this but yet says i look at stuff on the internet way to much!

very nice tank goign to be some sweet setups!

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 27.8%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 34.0%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back