Stressed and shy foxface.

Snickers314

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a one spot foxface I've owned for a little over two months and his behavior is troubling me. He hides almost all day, every day. I only see him come out when it is feeding time. Initially I was feeding him twice a day, but cut down to once a day as lots of the second was getting wasted. What concerns me even more than his skittish nature, is that when I do see him he is stressed. His top half from his head to his spot is commonly black. He also regularly flairs out his spinal spikes. I've very rarely seen him looking a calm, happy and entirely yellow.

I don't know what is causing his stress. He is in a 75 gallon tank with 80 pounds of live sand and 100 pounds of live rock. 150 gallons of filtration from 2 HOB filters provides flow. It seems to be sufficient but I have an unused powerhead if people think that is the issue. HIs tank mates are a pair of clownfish (unmated, clarkii & blood-orange) each with a long tentacle anemone that they host at opposites ends of the tank. There is also a lawn mower blenny that spends a lot of time perched on the rocks and semi hidden. I've never seen any of the fish show any agression towards him.

Does anyone have any advice or tips on how to make this fish less anxious and happier. I'd like for him to enjoy a long healthy and stress free life.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive often wondered the same in mine. They need to feel protected when out. Probabky some branching rocks would make it feel safer. Id also suggest checking for stray voltage. Especially any amps.

Last edited:

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxface can be a shy fish. Sometimes its an individual fish that is just shy. I find that when foxface are in a tank with other active fish they tend to come out more. If there is a lot of movement in front of the tank it could also trigger the fish to hide more. My foxface is very active but it is also in a large tank with a lot of tank mates. I would give it time as some fish can take a while to settle in.

OP
OP
S

Snickers314

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cory, I have my rocks arranged in a way there are lots of caves and even the open spaces have some sort of cover. I thought that would be ideal for my fish. I haven't been able to check for any stray electrical current. I am going to borrow a multimeter from my sister next time I see her. It might be a while though as we both have busy lives. Is there any behavior or signs in the other fish or the tank in general that would indicate that it is a problem?

I've been thinking about what you said AlexG. Eventually I'd think I'd like to add a flame angel, a blackcap basslet and maybe a small school of active little fish to help bring him out. The two I've decided on are both energetic fish that are typically swim around a lot. Do you have any recommendations for the school? I'm considering some type of chromis or possibly damsels, maybe azure or sergeant major. That stocking would mean that he is potentially the biggest fish in the tank and would be somewhat of a centerpiece fish. Do you agree that those fish would probably bring the foxface out more often?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back