stretching a budget/saving money on a large order.

Salty_Box_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been out of the hobby for a couple years and starting from complete scratch. Looking to get a prefabbed tank Waterbox/red sea/innovative marine int.. Etc. I plan to purchase as much as I can to get everything sorted out from the beginning but obviously that's a significant investment. Not interested in financing anything but have considered opening a travel CC for the miles but haven't looked into it very much. Budget is probably around $8000 for tank and equipment and looking at tanks in the 100g range. Has anyone ever seen a retailer give discounts for bulk orders? i am thinking map pricing hurts those chances but not sure how all that works.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
$8k is a lot of money for a 100g tank with equipment. This seems you are buying a lot of pricey equipment. I'm going to guess also some items you don't need now.

For example, to me the Innovative marine 100g external is a no brainer at $2084 compared their competitors.

I'd look into doing some more research. There is a lot of overpriced items in this hobby.

OP
OP
Salty_Box_Reef

Salty_Box_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$8k is a lot of money for a 100g tank with equipment. This seems you are buying a lot of pricey equipment. I'm going to guess also some items you don't need now.

For example, to me the Innovative marine 100g external is a no brainer at $2084 compared their competitors.

I'd look into doing some more research. There is a lot of overpriced items in this hobby.

Yes, I do plan to run some "expensive" gear. Currently looking at the IM 112 int, trigger systems sump with rollermat, controller, large skimmer, some reactors, couple MP40's, couple ap9x's, radions, sky's or ati straton, test kits, dry rock and so on. aesthetics are a major factor in it all and I would like to avoid "upgrading" as once the tank gets rolling I would like to change very little for at least the first year.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not talking about upgrading just do your research. I'm with you on the tank and lights.

For example a rollermat is a waste of $ to me and also those high priced sumps.

There are $400-$500 skimmers that perform the same as $1000 skimmers.

I'm going to bow out from here as you seem to be set on buying all the latest "hyped" heavily marketed equipment.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I do plan to run some "expensive" gear. Currently looking at the IM 112 int, trigger systems sump with rollermat, controller, large skimmer, some reactors, couple MP40's, couple ap9x's, radions, sky's or ati straton, test kits, dry rock and so on. aesthetics are a major factor in it all and I would like to avoid "upgrading" as once the tank gets rolling I would like to change very little for at least the first year.
Buying high end equipment for the apps and aesthetics is a fine choice, but a bit antithetical to "stretching a budget".

I'd say the first tip is to go with a closed stand and purchasing sump equipment that you will never look at besides during maintenance.

Simple glass tank with a couple dividers as a sump, skipping the reactors until you actually need one, pondering whether you really needed the features of whatever skimmer you picked out compared to a cheaper but still quality one.

Mp40s are hard, there's still a parent on that,
that look is either worth it or not to you, but there are much cheaper options of you can stand hiding cables behind the rockwork.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A LFS might be able to….but like you said.. map! A LFS just might have more wiggle room since they are not a large retailer.

The best idea would be to buy on a holiday when most things at least get 10 percent off, sometimes more. Labor Day is coming up but Black Friday may be better if you can wait that long.

OP
OP
Salty_Box_Reef

Salty_Box_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying high end equipment for the apps and aesthetics is a fine choice, but a bit antithetical to "stretching a budget".

I'd say the first tip is to go with a closed stand and purchasing sump equipment that you will never look at besides during maintenance.

Simple glass tank with a couple dividers as a sump, skipping the reactors until you actually need one, pondering whether you really needed the features of whatever skimmer you picked out compared to a cheaper but still quality one.

Mp40s are hard, there's still a parent on that,
that look is either worth it or not to you, but there are much cheaper options of you can stand hiding cables behind the rockwork.
I plan to document the build via here, ig and YouTube. I was a freelance photographer for a while and would like to get back into shooting again so visually the way the equipment looks including the stuff under the stand makes a big difference.

Bad Company

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy my rimless, 1/2" low iron 120G with a custom stand, lights, herbie 1.5" PVC plumbing, 20g sump, large ATS built in for $1,500 and upgrade what you want :]

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One aquarium isn't really a bulk order. But you'll have better luck if you can talk to someone. Could try sending a list of what you're buying for quotes.

Otherwise black Friday is usually the biggest published discount for most of the industry

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to document the build via here, ig and YouTube. I was a freelance photographer for a while and would like to get back into shooting again so visually the way the equipment looks including the stuff under the stand makes a big difference.

Oh, if you are trying to be an influencer with all the fanciest high end gear, why not do it the normal way, hype your channel up to gain followers and then ask for cooperations (free/cheaper stuff)?

OP
OP
Salty_Box_Reef

Salty_Box_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, if you are trying to be an influencer with all the fanciest high end gear, why not do it the normal way, hype your channel up to gain followers and then ask for cooperations (free/cheaper stuff)?
Gotta have a tank to hype up. If I was to “influence” anything it would be more from the photography aspect. My plan though is just to document the process as more of a journal, once the tank is up and stuff possibly do some macro tutorials but I have a fulltime job, life and other hobbies so unless by happy accident I don’t think I’ll get to a place where people want to give me that much free stuff.

ReefChef19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been out of the hobby for a couple years and starting from complete scratch. Looking to get a prefabbed tank Waterbox/red sea/innovative marine int.. Etc. I plan to purchase as much as I can to get everything sorted out from the beginning but obviously that's a significant investment. Not interested in financing anything but have considered opening a travel CC for the miles but haven't looked into it very much. Budget is probably around $8000 for tank and equipment and looking at tanks in the 100g range. Has anyone ever seen a retailer give discounts for bulk orders? i am thinking map pricing hurts those chances but not sure how all that works.
Also look at the classifieds on here, sometimes you can find some good deals on some quality equipment. I just bought a 60" sump at a third of the price and it looks brand new, it was the exact sump I wanted just not the color but I don't care at that savings! Some things I don't mind buying used but some I won't, it's up to you if you would be willing to save a few bucks. But please be careful if you do go that route, as everyone isn't always the most honest.

aws2266

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do you. If you can afford to spend that then more power to you. If I could afford it I’d get all the bells and whistles and the slick looking options too. If you get the right LFS they may give you a package discount but I wouldn’t expect much on new equipment.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back