Stringy Poo From Clownfish

Mppp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it would be nice to hear an update on how your clowns are doing after having the stringy white poop.

Any update on clownfish as mine has white stringy poop now as well. Good or bad news it helps, hopefully for your sake it turned out good news.

Mppp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as my clowns are concerned I have cut back feeding and put in some magnesium sulfate in tank (more to help my bloated yellow tang), but clowns are back to normal although I can honestly say I don't think the epsom salt did anything I just think they may have been overfed.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have been worried about my clowns, I notice they both have white stringy poop, but I have had them for about 9 months now so I don't think its a parasite, and as it was previously said in this thread white stringy poop can be caused my lots of protein in the diet with pellets and flakes, so I think thats the cause. I feed mostly flakes and pellets about twice a day, with frozen foods a few times a week. I havent noticed any other symptoms of ailment, so they should be fine.

Mppp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have been worried about my clowns, I notice they both have white stringy poop, but I have had them for about 9 months now so I don't think its a parasite, and as it was previously said in this thread white stringy poop can be caused my lots of protein in the diet with pellets and flakes, so I think thats the cause. I feed mostly flakes and pellets about twice a day, with frozen foods a few times a week. I havent noticed any other symptoms of ailment, so they should be fine.
Maybe add a spirulina only flake to diet as well so they can get their greens!

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe add a spirulina only flake to diet as well so they can get their greens!
I have actually seen my clowns eat some GHA from time to time lol. But recently I got some Hikari Mysis, but it has spirulina and phyto infused in it. It was meant for my bicolor blenny but he isnt interested in it, only GHA and regular mysis. Clowns eat anything though. Except freezedried bloodworms, which was just an attempt.

UniMyClownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To those that are looking for answer with stringy white poop and clownfish not eating. Here is my experience. As a first time clownfish owner less then 2 weeks after adopting a pair from one of my client moving out of state and needed a home i took them in to my home not knowing much about clownfish here is my success story.
Like everyone elseI found this forum looking for some answer when last week my 5 year old female clownfish I adopted a week ago that was paired with a male just stop eating when first week was eating fine.
I got all the med mention above but still waited few days just to see how she was because she was not losing weight so I was not too worry reading online that they are pretty tough cookies. Because the marine 25 gallon aquarium was given to me by the same owner I had to learn within a week how his set up worked and what stil lo worked and what didnt. There was a small heater that was 5watt where I found out it was too small for a 25 gallon so I changed it to my 10 watt I had in my fresh water tank. I got the temperature up to 80 figure the warmer water maybe will help to fight the internal parasite like we human would do as we increase our body temperature (fever) to kill our virus as part of our immune system. Waited a day at this temperature I came home from work ready to use the med but for some reason thank god she just started eating. Just ate like crazy I guess after 3 days or so not eating. So give it a try by raising your tank temperature to 80-82 which is also a good temperature where the male and female would mate according to my research, also in fact my male clownfish start doing her shaky dance and started to clean the flower pot I had in the tank. But the female had no interest in him but continue to eat 3 days in a row so far. Hope my experience will help others with the same issue you clownfish might have.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back