Clownfish not gaining weight after parasite treatment

macdav7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to saltwater, and I noticed my young clownfish had white stringy poop and ravenous appetite a couple weeks after I got it. So I treated for internal parasites with API General Cure food soak and it seemed to have worked because there was no more white stringy poop. However, it's been a month since and it still hasn't gained back the weight and still looks skinny. I feed either pellets or mysis once or twice a day. What should I do? Repeat treatment? I've attached a picture.
PXL_20231016_013029394.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, welcome to Reef2Reef!

Is the fish having any other symptoms? Has the white feces gone away?

It may be that it will take more food and more time to put the weight back on. Feeding more often during the day can help. Try feeding slowly, until the fish loses interest in the food, then do that 3x a day.

Also, despite what you may have read, General Cure is not designed to be used as an oral medication. Here is a post about how to medicate food properly (but it is complicated!)

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I feed either pellets or mysis once or twice a day. What should I do? Repeat treatment?
One issue is that Mysis itself can cause 'white stringy poop', and if you're feeding that only once a day - it might just not be enough. Agree with Jay to increase feeding - and perhaps minimize mysis. I assume your parameters are all ok?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back