Struggle With Lighting

TAO78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 24 gallon Nano Cube. I am currently running a Nicrew Hyperreef 100 and feel it may be overkill. Would it be a better for me to switch over to something like a ReefLED50? I currently am battling cyano and feel that the light may be one of the many contributing factors. Thanks!

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without a par meter you are only guessing. What’s bright to you might not be so bright to others.

Nutrients, flow, husbandry all play a role in cyano. I feel the light plays only a minor role in algae and cyano. To me it doesn’t make sense to downgrade the light because of cyano.

OP
OP
T

TAO78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without a par meter you are only guessing. What’s bright to you might not be so bright to others.

Nutrients, flow, husbandry all play a role in cyano. I feel the light plays only a minor role in algae and cyano. To me it doesn’t make sense to downgrade the light because of cyano.
I appreciate the response! Husbandry likely played a part. Like I said, 100% my fault that the tank is the way it is. Just a lot of stuff happened all at once and I fell behind on maintenance. Also increasing flow by adding another pump, and removing some rock to decrease "dead spots".

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like you on the right track. We all fall behind sometimes, we’ve all been there.

It’s up to you what you do of course, but if you have corals in the tank, then to me, our primary responsibility is to the corals, so like I mentioned it doesn’t make sense to me to downgrade the light. If no corals, then you can try go lightless for a few days. Or start another thread for help on the cyano if you feel you getting no where. Whatever you decide, good luck.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 29 29.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 25 25.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back