Wrapping my head around light choices

Dragen Fiend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too many light choices. Can someone ease my mind. Running up and down these forums plus reddit. I'm at a crossroad.

I currently have a Kessil A80 for an IM 15 gallon. This was gifted for free. But I'm having second thoughts if this would be enough? I'm sticking with softies/LPS. But I may want to throw in a SPS after a bit.

I'm trying to stay under $300.

AI prime 16HD seems to be the favorite but I see its having melting issues all over so I'm a bit weary. I do like the app and controllability.

NICREW 150 is much cheaper and powerful. But lacks features the AI ecosystem has.

noopsyche K7 Pro V3? Not sure about this one, similarly priced but maybe better than NICREW?

Am I missing anything else worthy?

My main focus is having the pars I need for my coral but also getting good colors from the light to really make my coral pop.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The questions you'll have to answer for clear guidance are what is your budget, and what are your requirements for control? A80 will not be great for SPS unless mounted quite close to the water's surface; you'd want to upgrade to the A160 if you like kessil. The a80 will do just fine for soft corals and LPS.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dragen Fiend

Dragen Fiend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The questions you'll have to answer for clear guidance are what is your budget, and what are your requirements for control? A80 will not be great for SPS unless mounted quite close to the water's surface; you'd want to upgrade to the A160 if you like kessil. The a80 will do just fine for soft corals and LPS.
Budget is $300. By control I mean adjusting colors. I'm reading other lights have more control on this to get a better color spectrum. I could be completely wrong tho..

Thanks if the Kessil A80 will work fine for now I can just upgrade later down the road. But which light is the question I can't find myself lol

Upvote 0

MIke Wood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about the noopsyche nano? cool design. 60 watts of power. has app control and a mounting arm?

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 105 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back