OP
A

Adrian87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add more rock to that right structure or possibly make a long wall along the back wall or a large cave structure.
Wish I knew what to tell you here sorry.
Lot of people dosing liquids to the tank. E.g. chemicals to reduce phosphates and nitrates. I don't know what it is thou
E.g. chemicals to reduce phosphates and nitrates. I don't know what it is though
Are you refering to carbon dosing? I am doing that but in a reactor instead of the display

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok ty for clarifying. I run a bio pellet reactor skimmer combo so it's a little different sorry.
Yes adding the rock and flow to the rock. Either in the display or a remote troft. Rubbermaid.
D

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Adrian87 This is pretty awesome! I hope to do something like this perhaps one day but probably not a predator system as I may be tempted to eat them! :) While I don't have experience with this size of tanks, I would suggest to consider your system is still a "biological experiment" of sorts and is not fully represenative of an actual environment. This is why many in reefing started second system or stage biomes, leveraging synergies from the two. While softies like nitrates, they are not algae and it might help to export to a system where those extra nutrients are commonly absorbed.

I believe when I have seen larger systems at places like Moody Gardens, they were interconnected with another export system similar to economics. I think the predator water was exported to a lagoon style system with mangroves and other macro algae. Based on my experience in doing this with pico, nano and regular sized systems, I would presume this would work with a larger system. The main difference is yours is like a train that's hard to stop once you observe uncommon parameters.

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did think of an idea though. You might be able to temporarily pull off a "farming system" of sorts, like in southeast asia where they grow algae. If you can get a basket of sorts in the right lights, with some good flow through it, one might be able to grow something in there. I would normally recommend cheato but in your case, something else may be better.

You might also get some passive filtration from NPS corals but if I'm not mistaken, you'll need to pull some of the highlighted parameters more in line first.

OP
OP
A

Adrian87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did think of an idea though. You might be able to temporarily pull off a "farming system" of sorts, like in southeast asia where they grow algae. If you can get a basket of sorts in the right lights, with some good flow through it, one might be able to grow something in there. I would normally recommend cheato but in your case, something else may be better.

You might also get some passive filtration from NPS corals but if I'm not mistaken, you'll need to pull some of the highlighted parameters more in line first.
What type of algae would you recommend over chaeto? I dont have room for another tank but i could potentially have room for a large algae reactor or something. I used to own turf scrubbers and im not a fan (too smelly and high maintenance).. I would like to give my nitrate reactor more of chance first though before buying more equipment.

I dont think nps corals will help as most of my nitrate is from fish waste/ammonia and not free floating un-eaten food. I actually do have sun corals and dendros but i target feed them.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically each coral has its own kessil a360x above it. I rented a par meter one day and found they were all getting roughly between 100-160 par. They do get blasted with flow by my closed loops and oceans motion. The only coral that id say needs more flow is the heliopora though its doing ok for now.
If they are getting blasted that's a lot of the problems. Your nutrients are hight but not that high for leathers.

No flow is just as bad as too much flow.

OP
OP
A

Adrian87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are getting blasted that's a lot of the problems. Your nutrients are hight but not that high for leathers.

No flow is just as bad as too much flow.
After that post i also clarified "blasted" is an exaggeration and there are different corals in different types of flow with same symptoms. Changing flow was the first thing i tried.

OP
OP
A

Adrian87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything over 40
Do you think ph could also have an effect? Sharks use up alot of oxygen and all though i have a large skimmer and lots of surface agitation (also a trickle filter with a fan over it meant for air exchange) its all recycling the air from inside the house. I dont monitor it because my probes are really old and doubt theyd still be accurate. I could get a test kit though.

Last edited:

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think ph could also have an effect? Sharks use up alot of oxygen and all though i have a large skimmer and lots of surface agitation (also a trickle filter with a fan over it meant for air exchange) its all recycling the air from inside the house. I dont monitor it because my probes are really old and doubt theyd still be accurate. I could get a test kit though.
What's your ph? I would imagine it's in acceptable range.

Just went back and looked at the pics. You have some polyp extension. If they are growing and getting bigger I wouldn't worry about them.
Some times they just close up for periods of time. Have you noticed them shedding?

OP
OP
A

Adrian87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your ph? I would imagine it's in acceptable range.

Just went back and looked at the pics. You have some polyp extension. If they are growing and getting bigger I wouldn't worry about them.
Some times they just close up for periods of time. Have you noticed them shedding?
Most of the leathers look great. Its only two colonies i have consistent problems with. They arent growing they are slowly shrinking. One is by itself nothing touches it but the other is close to a green nephthea and devils hand. I dont know my ph i just thought it may be worth getting a kit next time im at the store. I dont see any shedding when they close.up.but i do see them drop a few tips of their fingers.

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the ICP test you shared, the nitrates shown (and other elements) are high by the other commenters own response. Anything over 50ppm is high enough and far larger than what is naturally found and several of your other more rare parameters, are known to be absorbed by specialized macro algae. I strongly encourage you pick up a test kit for sure and make a visit to Moody Gardens to check out their predator tanks and setup regardless. It should give you an idea of what that looks like 24x7 and give you a chance to ask people questions in person. Fun place for everyone.

I might suggest a controller of sorts, one which also does testing. GHL has one that does Nitrates if I recall and most if not all do pH, get a cheap Seneye Reef model if need be. Some may get away with high nitrates like you've provided however the consensus from other threads is, you've got too much nutrients of several types that are not going to be removed by a skimmer nor do you have a means of more regular testing. Either way, what would it hurt to try?

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Adrian87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the ICP test you shared, the nitrates shown (and other elements) are high by the other commenters own response. Anything over 50ppm is high enough and far larger than what is naturally found and several of your other more rare parameters, are known to be absorbed by specialized macro algae. I strongly encourage you pick up a test kit for sure and make a visit to Moody Gardens to check out their predator tanks and setup regardless. It should give you an idea of what that looks like 24x7 and give you a chance to ask people questions in person. Fun place for everyone.

I might suggest a controller of sorts, one with also does testing. GHL has one that does Nitrates if I recall and most if not all do pH, get a cheap Seneye Reef model if need be. Some may get away with high nitrates like you've provided however the consensus from other threads is, you've got too much nutrients of several types that are not going to be removed by a skimmer nor do you have a means of more regular testing. Either way, what would it hurt to try?
Hang on.....
Where did you see nitrate on my icp? I tested that with a hanna checker which i do frequently. What other elements did you think were too high on the icp test? I only see some that are too low..
I wont be visiting moody gardens im on the opposite side of the continent. Ill see if i can find any videos on it.
I do have an apex controller..my ph probes are just old. I monitor temp salinity orp and i weekly test nitrate and alkalinity.
Wouldnt hurt to try what?

Last edited:

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang on.....
Where did you see nitrate on my icp? I tested that with a hanna checker which i do frequently. What other elements did you think were too high on the icp test? I only see some that are too low..
I wont be visiting moody gardens im on the opposite side of the continent. Ill see if i can find any videos on it.
I do have an apex controller..my ph probes are just old. I monitor temp salinity orp and i weekly test nitrate and alkalinity.
Wouldnt hurt to try what?
No worries. I didn't see that from the ICP test but what you posted. I did read you had a Hanna to do this, awesome BTW! I see several that are highlighted and one in red. Some are put in ppb but my items only do ppm, so remove the decimal three places. To me, I think some of the corals look okay but I did see the one on the right center that looks a little unhappy. TBH, I'd get a new pH probe on your Apex and use that if you have it.

I was recommending why not try the floating macro, as if done correctly it should only improve the tank if you've done everything else. I see the deep bed which you've got, sounds like you are testing regularly and adjusted flow to match. To me it sounds like you've got everything for success. I would try exporting these to another system or the other idea, to float them or something and see what happens.

OP
OP
A

Adrian87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries. I didn't see that from the ICP test but what you posted. I did read you had a Hanna to do this, awesome BTW! I see several that are highlighted and one in red. Some are put in ppb but my items only do ppm, so remove the decimal three places. To me, I think some of the corals look okay but I did see the one on the right center that looks a little unhappy. TBH, I'd get a new pH probe on your Apex and use that if you have it.

I was recommending why not try the floating macro, as if done correctly it should only improve the tank if you've done everything else. I see the deep bed which you've got, sounds like you are testing regularly and adjusted flow to match. To me it sounds like you've got everything for success. I would try exporting these to another system or the other idea, to float them or something and see what happens.
Floating macro would be cool and i have a perfect spot for it. Do you know of any that are tang safe?

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Floating macro would be cool and i have a perfect spot for it. Do you know of any that are tang safe?
If you can make an refugium than float it in the dt that would be bad. Tangs would love it and try to give you a wet sloppy kiss.

OP
OP
A

Adrian87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can make an refugium than float it in the dt that would be bad. Tangs would love it and try to give you a wet sloppy kiss.
I dont have room for a refugium. The best i could do would be a chaeto reactor but again, id like to give my nitrate reactor a chance before buying or building more equipment

OP
OP
A

Adrian87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK...finally got nitrates under control. Im keeping them at 20 ppm for now. All finger leathers across the whole tank are ticked. All my mushroom leathers couldnt be happier. I still swap my carbon out every few weeks or so and notice no difference when i do so. Waiting for my latest ico results to come in but i dont suspect any supprises. I stopped dosing ca and alk because they seem to hold their own with just water changes alone. Still only changing about 8% every couple weeks but thats the best i can do in a 900g system with the price of salt today....any other ideas to help my leathers?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 44 51.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.6%
Back