Struggling to find a hood/light mounting solution

  • Thread starter Thread starter HookMeUpII
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

HookMeUpII

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 1, 2019
Messages
4
Reaction score
25
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building out a 55 gallon reef. The tank currently sits as freshwater. I'm trying to work out the logistics of all my components before I disassemble the system and re-start it from scratch as a reef. I'm no stranger to reefs although the hobby has changed so much since I last kept them. First off I should start with my expectations:

- Softies in general
- Some leathers
- Mushrooms
- Zoos

Basically, lower light level corals.

The lights I am looking at are Sunlight Supply T5's and I would even consider a CBB style LED if I could get them to fit in the hood.

Which brings me to my dilemma:

My 55 gallon has it's original wood stand and canopy that really look nice and not only that, match the furniture in the room. I would really hate to have to ditch the canopy and mount the lights to the wall hanging over the tank.

Any ideas for getting something like this:

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/48-sun-blaze-t5-ho-lighting-fixture-sunlight-supply.html

Into a hood? Furthermore, is only 6" elevation off the water enough or am I going to scorch the life out of my corals?
 
If you're looking for low mount, a custom retrofit is probably the best way to go. BRS has a number of options, I would just check the dimensions. 6" is fine for T5 for light, but you may need to clean the bulbs and reflectors. The MIRO reflectors will add a ton of value to your install, so if you can step up for a good reflector design on the T5s, you'll grow anything you want. Heck a 4 bulb T5 48" fixture should be able to grow SPS in the top half of the tank.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aquarium-lighting/t5-fluorescent-aquarium-lighting/retrofit.html
 
If you're looking for low mount, a custom retrofit is probably the best way to go. BRS has a number of options, I would just check the dimensions. 6" is fine for T5 for light, but you may need to clean the bulbs and reflectors. The MIRO reflectors will add a ton of value to your install, so if you can step up for a good reflector design on the T5s, you'll grow anything you want. Heck a 4 bulb T5 48" fixture should be able to grow SPS in the top half of the tank.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aquarium-lighting/t5-fluorescent-aquarium-lighting/retrofit.html

That,

Love the t5 retro fit and fairly inexpensive. Choose as many bulbs as you need. Ocelaris nailed it at 4.
I had 4 in my 55 hood. It was plenty if not too much and gives you a wide range of bulbs
 
Not seeing the actual top/canopy/etc.... have you considered cutting out the top and leaving the "Trim" and surrounding pieces, and then hanging the lights over-head?
 
I recommend taking a look at the TruLumen PRO LED strips from Current USA. I had a 50 breeder with a similar low-profile canopy, and 4 of the PRO strips over it was plenty of light for SPS, so likely more than enough for softies/LPS in a 55 which is a bit deeper. You don't have the dial-in-the-spectrum convenience of some of the higher-end LED lights. but you can at least mix and match the spectrum on a strip-by-strip basis.
 
Just popping back in guys. I am going to take some pictures of the canopy. I've thought about cutting the top and leaving it open to hang lights above. That would be a last resort but it COULD work.

Larry, I actually looked at them. They could work really well for what I'm looking to do actually. I could probably even get away with 3 strips. Just trying to figure out what the best color configuration would be.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 58 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new