Struggling to identify ich

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 clarkii clownfish and a baby blue tang.

I quarantined them using hybrid tank transfer method, doing a transfer every 2 days for about 20 days total. I did one formalin bath and 2 h202 spaced each spaced 6 days apart.

The female (dominant) clownfish and the blue tang have no spots

The male clownfish (the submissive one) had these tiny white patches that almost look like a mixture between an external skin fluke, and ich.

The clownfish is colored black, the the spot is such a fine white spot. I can’t even see it unless the sunlight hits the fish in a specific spot. This spot has stayed with the fish almost the entire duration of the TTM.

But I think it went away but now I’m observing the fish and I see the spot.

There’s no way I can take a picture of this spot because the fish moves too fast and the spot(s) are really difficult see.

They are not raised. They look like a grayish white tint in an oval shape that is very very faint to the eye.

I’ve stared down the blue tang and it looks spotless. I don’t know if I should take a picture of the fish out of the water.

#fishmedic

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have 2 clarkii clownfish and a baby blue tang.

I quarantined them using hybrid tank transfer method, doing a transfer every 2 days for about 20 days total. I did one formalin bath and 2 h202 spaced each spaced 6 days apart.

The female (dominant) clownfish and the blue tang have no spots

The male clownfish (the submissive one) had these tiny white patches that almost look like a mixture between an external skin fluke, and ich.

The clownfish is colored black, the the spot is such a fine white spot. I can’t even see it unless the sunlight hits the fish in a specific spot. This spot has stayed with the fish almost the entire duration of the TTM.

But I think it went away but now I’m observing the fish and I see the spot.

There’s no way I can take a picture of this spot because the fish moves too fast and the spot(s) are really difficult see.

They are not raised. They look like a grayish white tint in an oval shape that is very very faint to the eye.

I’ve stared down the blue tang and it looks spotless. I don’t know if I should take a picture of the fish out of the water.

#fishmedic
Any pics under white lights?
Your description sounds like possibly brooklynella but I never assess with pics for positive I.d.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you didn't screw up somehow, TTM will take care of ich. There are other diseases that TTM wouldn't cover.
This spot has stayed with the fish almost the entire duration of the TTM.
This tells me it isn't ich or velvet.

I don't have a great guess without a pic or some other symptoms. Maybe lymphocystis?

I would just observe for now.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a picture. I will circle it. It’s VERY VERY faint.

I took the fish out of the water, but the spot wasn’t visible at all. I had to put him back in the water and try my luck.

DB0A4532-5C4B-4E83-8B53-F11A2A6AD79F.jpeg
91EA763E-DD95-4EC3-840E-0314FEA1B6DF.jpeg

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did they get Prazi treatment?
No. According to humblefish, h202 may treat flukes, but there was at least one instance where flukes made it through. Using formalin is more effective, but I only used it once.

So flukes are technically a possibility here.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the video, there is a slight moment where the fish moves and shows the left side. The sun hits directly at him and you see the 3 marks that I was talking about.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. According to humblefish, h202 may treat flukes, but there was at least one instance where flukes made it through. Using formalin is more effective, but I only used it once.

So flukes are technically a possibility here.
I’m backing away from H2O2, it hasn’t been super reliable for me the last year or so, and I was an early adopter! I still use it in low concentration for like a tank transfer situation but not as a dedicated treatment.

My guess would be a fluke situation or some kind of bacterial issue, doesn’t seem as extreme as brook but you’ll know quickly if it is. Id consider a prazi treatment and then fattening them up on some high nutrient food

Edit: after video, is also think it might just be lymphocystis, let us know if it spreads or stays in that area

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m backing away from H2O2, it hasn’t been super reliable for me the last year or so, and I was an early adopter! I still use it in low concentration for like a tank transfer situation but not as a dedicated treatment.

My guess would be a fluke situation or some kind of bacterial issue, doesn’t seem as extreme as brook but you’ll know quickly if it is. Id consider a prazi treatment and then fattening them up on some high nutrient food

Edit: after video, is also think it might just be lymphocystis, let us know if it spreads or stays in that area
Thanks buddy!

I took the fish out of the water again with the intention of doing a gentle skin scrape, but upon closer inspection, it kind of looks like damage from the dominant female. It kind of looks like a small open wound.

I tried my best to take a picture.

ps: the fish is safe and currently swimming and breathing normally. I know the picture looks sad with his chocolate brown puppy eyes, but I already apologized to him.
56F2020A-CC49-4FC4-8F7C-C722467D68F8.jpeg

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if I really agree with the lympho diagnosis. I thought lympho protrudes from the skin like califlower warts. I know the video make it seem like it, but nothing is really protruding. I took the fish out and looked at it under the sun. The picture didn’t show because the water on the fish reflected back into the camera, but the body has some scratches in it.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I too think post-injury in which should heal on its own
Are these fish squabbling?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score