Struggling to keep LPS

SilvermistInc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have trouble with acans, candy canes, frog spawn, plating corals (fungia), and had a little trouble with hammers, lost some heads, but the hammers seem to be doing well now.
How long do these corals live, and are you blasting the hell out of them with flow? A few of those aren't exactly beginner friendly. But candy canes dying means something is up.

It 100% has nothing to do with not feeding though. I have no idea what that other dude is talking about.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Results. Still only my opinion by using it. Could be anything in OPs water.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the icp test from August of last year. Nothing looked out of the ordinary.

This is pretty old. There are all sorts of pollutants that could have been built up since that test.

If you don't want to spend the money to do another one, I would probably put in some things that absorb metals. polyfilter, metasorb or something. It could be a total waste, I do not know, but those should remove the majority of metal pollutants I think. You may have something rusting somewhere in your tank putting things in your water, it's a problem I've been trying to chase in my tank for a year now.

Other than that, maybe run some carbon to remove any toxins. Again, no idea if it will help, but in these situations I just try to eliminate possibilities.

I didn't see any mention of phosphate or nitrate levels. If your chaeto isn't growing it could be due to you not having enough of these due to water changes. Or it could be due to a lack of some element that it needs. Hard so say, it's not the easiest thing to grow in my experience.

OP
OP
Blue80

Blue80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do these corals live, and are you blasting the hell out of them with flow? A few of those aren't exactly beginner friendly. But candy canes dying means something is up.

It 100% has nothing to do with not feeding though. I have no idea what that other dude is talking about.
It depends, the hammers have been alive for a while, though I lost a few heads. The others vary, sometimes I notice STN issues right after putting them in the tank, like with the candy canes. So I am thinking I might have something in my water the carbon is not taking care of.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends, the hammers have been alive for a while, though I lost a few heads. The others vary, sometimes I notice STN issues right after putting them in the tank, like with the candy canes. So I am thinking I might have something in my water the carbon is not taking care of.
Do you have any big leather corals?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Pictures are hard to see under heavy blue lighting and my best guerss is toxins which many release and will affect euphyllia, xenia, candy cane and even some zoa.
Also temperature- when it gets too warm, they seem to pout/withdraw.
Assure salinity-phosphate- nitrate and calcium not elevated.
For toxins, you can add chemipure blue which will address pho and toxins and keep them in check.
What test kits are you using ?
Moderate light and water flow best for LPS

OP
OP
Blue80

Blue80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures are hard to see under heavy blue lighting and my best guerss is toxins which many release and will affect euphyllia, xenia, candy cane and even some zoa.
Also temperature- when it gets too warm, they seem to pout/withdraw.
Assure salinity-phosphate- nitrate and calcium not elevated.
For toxins, you can add chemipure blue which will address pho and toxins and keep them in check.
What test kits are you using ?
Moderate light and water flow best for LPS
I use Hanna checkers for my alk, phos and nitrate, Red Sea for calcium and aqua forest for magnesium and test weekly. The levels were good and the hammers have been doing well for a while now. I keep the tank at 78 with a one degree fluctuation.

iquitreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All,

I can't keep any lps in my tank to save my life. I am not sure what the issue is as my softies do just fine. I currently have a 180 gallon aquarium with an icecap 36XL sump and the tank has been set up well over a year with plenty of coraline algae growth in the tank. I fight green hair algae, but it has been minimal for a little while now.

I have 3 mp 40s, two on one end of the tank, one on the other (run in lps mode maxing out around 48%). I also struggle to grow any algae in my refugium (chaeto, caulerpa, etc.). I have switched between the innovative marine 9 watt grow light and a simple 29 watt fluorescent light without much luck. As needed, I run carbon and gfo and test my water weekly. I have 4 ai hydra 32 lights over the tank and run them from 7am to 5 pm. I run filter socks in the aquarium and a reef octopus protein skimmer, which pulls out a lot of junk. These are the numbers I get based on the apogee par meter.

IMG_2859.thumb.jpg.402948acd2da6b0771e94a7070c06a72.jpgIMG_2860.thumb.jpg.f3ca313fd15da3b83f748fafc8cb1ce3.jpgIMG_2861.thumb.jpg.48cf84d628675dedff17e48575b48d1a.jpg

IMG_2862.thumb.PNG.2e2e7c418673bba938c7d03fc669fb85.PNG

My last test showed phosphates at around .02, but it can get as high as .1. My nitrates were right around 15 but have been as high as 19. I keep my alk between 8.4 and 9 and calcium is 420 and magnesium is 1330. The salinity is 1.025 and tank temp is kept at 78 degrees. I also sent in an icp test a couple of days ago to see if there are issues there, but a previous icp test showed nothing out of the ordinary. I use BRS for alk, calcium and magnesium.

I do a water change every two weeks with ro/di water. I have around 15 or so fish and a decent clean up crew. I stupidly had an air freshener in the room, one of the glade plug ins that I recently removed, not sure if that was creating this issue or how much effect it may have had.

I welcome all questions and suggestions on what I might be doing wrong, so I can reverse this lps trend and how I can also fix my refugium issue.

Thanks in advance!
Me too...

OP
OP
Blue80

Blue80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the results of my water test, there does not seem to be a whole lot going on. I will try the recommendations, but would these be the reasons for my issues? Or should I start looking at something else as the culprit?

Attachments

• Aquarium analysis results.pdf
    373.2 KB · Views: 51
  • RODI Analysis result.pdf
    474.3 KB · Views: 28
  • RODI recommendation.pdf
    42.4 KB · Views: 24

SilvermistInc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the results of my water test, there does not seem to be a whole lot going on. I will try the recommendations, but would these be the reasons for my issues? Or should I start looking at something else as the culprit?
I'm not noticing anything out of the blue

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I be dealing with a bacterial infection?
Its always possible, your iodine and manganese are low too. Seems more like a lighting issue possibly. I started dosing PNS probio 3 months back which is a natural bacteria supplement for the tank and have seen a very noticeable overall improvement in my tanks environment. Corals are bright and healthy. I dose red sea AB once a week too and PNS yellow sno once a week. I have had bacteria infections previously and lost heads on hammers and torches. Single dose of ciprofloaxin stopped the infection.

OP
OP
Blue80

Blue80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its always possible, your iodine and manganese are low too. Seems more like a lighting issue possibly. I started dosing PNS probio 3 months back which is a natural bacteria supplement for the tank and have seen a very noticeable overall improvement in my tanks environment. Corals are bright and healthy. I dose red sea AB once a week too and PNS yellow sno once a week. I have had bacteria infections previously and lost heads on hammers and torches. Single dose of ciprofloaxin stopped the infection.
I bought an iodine supplement and some reef roids. Do you think I need to increase my par or reduce it?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought an iodine supplement and some reef roids. Do you think I need to increase my par or reduce it?
I looked at your pics again. I'm not familiar with Hydra lights but if you trust your par readings the numbers are ok for LPS maybe slightly more intensity and run a program spectrum similar to radion AB plus. One thing I did notice was your MP40s are mounted very low in the tank. I keep mine 3 inches below the water line. I realize you have a large tank and are trying to eliminate dead spots but LPS really don't need much flow from those. I run mine at 38% in lagoon mode during the day and 28 overnight.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
careful with roids as they Can raise phosphates quickly.
For LPS under Hydras , , , , , , ,

White 18%
Blue 65%
UV 35%
Purple 45%
Red 4%
Green 4%

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think par is a little low in most spots for LPS.

I see mostly low 100's. Should be in the mid to upper 100's.

I have never directly fed a single coral(unless they are NPS). Corals do appreciate food, but are 99% photosynthetic and do not need to be fed.

Feeding or not feeding is not the OP's problem.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back