Struggling with keeping Chaeto alive, any guidance?

TheWackyWiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I am struggling with my AIO Fuge set up and would really appreciate any guidance ya'll could impart.

Params
Calcium: 500ppm
kH: 179ppm
Nitrate: 1.0ppm
Phosphate: 1.0ppm

Setup
Tank = Fiji Cube 20g AIO Peninsula
Light: ACKE Led grow light 12w

Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 7.58.59 AM.png

Issue
Before moving to this tank I was running a HOB fuge made out of a modded Aquaclear 70. With that set up my Chaeto grew like a weed.

Since upgrading to the AIO tank I cant seem to keep my chaeto alive. It gets really brittle and crumbles. The pieces make their way into the return chamber and either clog up the return pump or get pumped into the DT making it look really dirty.

I've tried adjusting the photo periods (was 24hr on then 12hrs on now I'm closer to 10hrs broken into 2 periods) and increasing the nutrient input. I use instant ocean salt and do weekly 25% water changes so I should be okay when it comes to trace elements.

As a side note I have noticed one of my zoas being closed up more often than usual, not sure if that's related.

Any ideas of what I can try to get my Chaeto growing again? Also, any ideas for how I can keep the cheato from making it's way into the return section? I've been thinking of adding either a single piece of marine block or sponge over the fuge outlet.

Thanks!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having what is essentially 0 nitrate could be an issue (and probably is the issue). Also, 1.0ppm for phosphate is extremely high. Other than nitrate, you may want to consider dosing something like chaetogro or other trace element mixes if you don't already.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheWackyWiz

TheWackyWiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having what is essentially 0 nitrate could be an issue (and probably is the issue). Also, 1.0ppm for phosphate is extremely high. Other than nitrate, you may want to consider dosing something like chaetogro or other trace element mixes if you don't already.
Thanks for the heads up. I just retested the Phosphate and its at .25ppm. What are ways I can trying increasing the nitrate without going too far in the other direction?

Upvote 0

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto needs 8 hours of dark in 24 hour period. Lots of people struggle with limiting nutrients. Try getting some Fergon tablets as Iron is usually the culprit. Randy has a dosing solution recommendation that works for me. Next would be Boron, magnesium and B12.

Upvote 0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the heads up. I just retested the Phosphate and its at .25ppm. What are ways I can trying increasing the nitrate without going too far in the other direction?

You can feed more frozen food or dose nitrate with something like brightwell neonitro.

Upvote 0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto needs 8 hours of dark in 24 hour period. Lots of people struggle with limiting nutrients. Try getting some Fergon tablets as Iron is usually the culprit. Randy has a dosing solution recommendation that works for me. Next would be Boron, magnesium and B12.

Chaeto is fine with lights on 24/7. This is what algaebarn does with their macroalgae. Algae does not sleep nor does algae have any circadian rhythm.

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back