Stuck Red Sea drain valve fixed!

dlish89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all know about the touchy drain valve on the Red Sea Reefers. I had an issue where the valve was extremely difficult to even turn. To the point I was afraid I would break the pipe. The good news is if you have the same problem and are not quit ready to upgrade to a gate valve here are pics of the stock red sea valve pulled apart.
Turn off all pumps in tank. Fully open the valve.
Pull the 4 rubber plugs off the valve. Remove the 4 - 5mm Allen bolts. Remove the valve.
Clean all the gunk in the pipe and on the rubber manifold.
Turn the valve counter clock wise to open it fully. Lightly lift up the rubber all the way around the valve. You should be able to spin the rubber and the plastic it is attached to off the valve completely.
This will expose the screw holding the handle on the valve. Remove the handle and push the piece the handle was attached to into the valve. This is the part that is sticking. Put alittle lube of your choice right were this pieced popped out.
Push that piece back in and attach the handle using the screw. Give it some turns it should be nice and easy now.
Put everything back together in reverse order.

20210103_163107.jpg 20210103_163118.jpg 20210103_163519.jpg

OP
OP
dlish89

dlish89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its been over a year now and the valve is still working nice and smooth. Haven't had to do anything to it. I recently picked up a used redsea 250 and the valve is a little sticky. I will be breaking it down soon when I get the time.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back