Stuff Growing in Salt Storage Bin?

rlamos1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I use a 20 Gal covered but not sealed Rubbermaid to mix and store my salt water for use with an auto water change system. I use Tropic Marin Reef Pro with 0 TDS RODI and heat/circulate it. I never let the bin run dry so as to keep things rolling with my AWC. Over time, I get this black stuff that looks almost like mold covering the surfaces inside the bin except where the power head is blowing. It is even floating on the water surface and collecting on the wall at the water line.

Any ideas what this may be?

Safe to ignore?

Damon Jensen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get brown algae, not the same as use, but definitely in the water. I posted a similar question and was pretty much told it was no big deal as there are micro organisms in the Salt mix.

I would say post a picture, it helps people identify stuff

Mark laar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also get Brown spots in my saltwater tank..
Fresh batch sits in there for about 2 weeks before a new batch is made..
Also tropic marin pro..

CK00020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get the same thing, I drained mine the other day took it outside and power washed it, nothing moved. Magic eraser works wonders
I can’t believe the power washer did nothing

ReefKeeperElite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I use a 20 Gal covered but not sealed Rubbermaid to mix and store my salt water for use with an auto water change system. I use Tropic Marin Reef Pro with 0 TDS RODI and heat/circulate it. I never let the bin run dry so as to keep things rolling with my AWC. Over time, I get this black stuff that looks almost like mold covering the surfaces inside the bin except where the power head is blowing. It is even floating on the water surface and collecting on the wall at the water line.

Any ideas what this may be?

Safe to ignore?
I get the same thing, attached is a video.

This is after a week of freshly mixed Tropic Marin Pro in a newly cleaned storage bin.

My bin is in the garage, and has a Vortech Mp10 pump continuously circulating the water at 25% speed.

It is not heated, so the temp would vary a bit, but normally in the 70s during the summer.

I keep light from the bin by covering the rack with black heavy duty garbage bags.

If anyone knows what causes this and how to prevent, guidance would be appreciated from myself and others!

ReefKeeperElite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get the same thing, attached is a video.

This is after a week of freshly mixed Tropic Marin Pro in a newly cleaned storage bin.

My bin is in the garage, and has a Vortech Mp10 pump continuously circulating the water at 25% speed.

It is not heated, so the temp would vary a bit, but normally in the 70s during the summer.

I keep light from the bin by covering the rack with black heavy duty garbage bags.

If anyone knows what causes this and how to prevent, guidance would be appreciated from myself and others!

Update: I mixed another batch since then, and turned up the Mp10 to 40%, and this almost completely cut down on the particulates formed in the storage tank. It would seem that continuous circulation at a moderate speed is effective. I'm sure keeping it dark helps too, but that along with good continuous circulation seems to be the key.

Back