Stupid clownfish

Shpongled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the picture idea, but can't say it worked for me. When I first got my Platinums, I was eager for them to host the 3 RBTA I had, so I taped a picture of a predator (scary looking Eel) on the left side of my tank and a picture of clowns on my right side hosting a RBTA. At first the fish were sort of frightened, but after a day or two it seemed to not bother them at all. It ended up taking the clowns a year before hosting my nems.

OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was afraid of such responses. So my only recourse is time and patience? This means I've been wasting all this time and effort trying to use discipline? T******* the little fish on the head accomplishes nothing?

mayday610

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every fish is different. You can never tell. Just because it did or didn't work for one person doesn't mean you will have the same results. All you can do is try. I could be wrong but i feel that over time with all the captive breeding these fish somewhat loose their ability to recognize as anemone as a host. Never knowing the difference may somewhat depress the instinct they have towards one. Just my thoughts, but its somewhat like domesticating other wildlife, their instincts are never taken away but become depressed.. until the day they sometimes take over!

Zack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still find it hard to believe a picture teaches a clown to host! Crazy stuff!

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 To trying anyway. If it doesn't work you are out a piece of tape and a picture..

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

chefb_5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is true the clowns do like the flash light for some reason I have done that just for fun. I also have heard to put up a pic. I have had clown fish all my salt water years and they will host the bubble tip nem or the carpet when there ready. I have had a bubble tip in fact 3 of them and it took them 3 months.

OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously then could someone post a "demo" photo that's been used for such an endeavor?

OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in line with anthropomorphizing our fish, perhaps because I have four clowns in the tank maybe bonding with an anemone could be perceived as a sign of weakness which could result in being mocked by the rest of the clown troupe.

OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'll be danged!! For those seeking ideas... the ones who said "flashlight" seem to be on the right track! I turned off the lights and placed a small LED spotlight behind to illuminate the carpet. Almost immediately all clownfish assembled closer to the carpet than I've ever seen them! We'll see how it goes in the morning having illuminated the carpet all night. This board is awesome!!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360370505.844748.jpg

bigkai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'll be danged!! For those seeking ideas... the ones who said "flashlight" seem to be on the right track! I turned off the lights and placed a small LED spotlight behind to illuminate the carpet. Almost immediately all clownfish assembled closer to the carpet than I've ever seen them! We'll see how it goes in the morning having illuminated the carpet all night. This board is awesome!!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360370505.844748.jpg

Lol well I got something right for once. I hope it works

Sent from my EVO using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone once told me to put a flashlight pointing at what you want the clowns to host in at night and they will go to the light.

Sent from my EVO using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

Now, that just may work. I bet we are about to find out.

If it does work, then the world of reef keeping will again be a better world because of R2R/

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still schooling around carpet. I'll keep updating

Last edited:

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A. polymnus (( saddleback clowns )) will actually fully disappear into an S. haddoni from time to time -- usually when frightened. There is a greater chance of damage to the anemone than the clown in this case.

For that video, it almost looks like the clown is picking at a not fully healthy S. haddoni -- the tentacles are way too sparse.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back