Stylophora bleaching at base HELP

Galliente

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.

Pretty sure this coral Stylophora, is slowly dying/bleaching at the base.

I’m in SoCal and about a month or so ago we had a heat wave when I was out of town. When I got back home I noticed the base of this coral starting to whiten and lose its polyps. I assume it’s from the heat since my parameters are all appropriate and I test weekly. This is the only coral that has been effected from what I assume is a heat spike and it doesn’t help this coral is higher in the tank than everything else.
The bleaching has slowed but still appears to be ”growing” on the base and lower limbs.

Aside from a heat spike is it possible the bleaching could be from lack of light due to the shading the upper part of the coral casts over the base?

in either circumstance My question is…..is this coral likely to recover or should I frag the other limbs since it is inevitable the coral is done for?

thanks in advance

Trey

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Keep an eye on it. The base is also shaded, common when corals grow. If it continues to the branches in light, frag a top section so you have back up just in case. Pocillipora, not stylo.

OP
OP
Galliente

Galliente

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow is good. Right by a wave maker. Indirect but solid flow.

yea I wasn’t confident stylo or poccilopora. Thanks for that wasn’t sure what I had hahahah.

if that’s common that makes sense about trimming.

tbh I was shocked I have a lot of other “more difficult “ corals with no problems.
Glad I checked before pulling out the chainsaw.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back