Styrofoam under stand for tile floor?

ReefinIt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a 120 gallon. The tank will be on terracotta tile floors that are not completely flat. The tiles have a little curve to them and dip down when they go to the edges near the grout.

Should I put a piece of styrofoam between the stand and the floor? Anyone try this?

I'm already putting a piece of styrofoam between the tank and the stand because the tank is rimless.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure that styrofoam is the ticket?

I might try a good piece of underlayment material used for snap in plank flooring.
or underlayment and a snap in plank floor cut to fit underneath the stand?

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your stand has adjustable feet I wouldn’t worry about it. If it doesn’t have feet I have used shims in many places, especially the corners and mid sections. Trim them flush after you’re 100% on final location and level. Do not use those rubber/foam self living tank mats under the stand. They end up sticking to the Saltillo/terracotta tiles and it’s a major pita to remove all the residue when you sell your house after five years.

OP
OP
R

ReefinIt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't have adjustable legs. I could just use shims. I was thinking the styrofoam could have an added benefit by blocking spilt water from going into the grout and flowing under the tank.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't have adjustable legs. I could just use shims. I was thinking the styrofoam could have an added benefit by blocking spilt water from going into the grout and flowing under the tank.
Could you add some?
Also, don’t use styrofoam under the tank. A yoga mat or something similar is a heck of a lot safer.

OP
OP
R

ReefinIt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think the Styrofoam would just smash
that's what I was thinking. It would fill in between the tiles where the grout is.

Probably just going to put the tank on the floor. I've dome it in the past with bigger tanks. I just have another piece of styrofoam laying around and wondered it would work.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at my 120 gallon build, I used “Yogi Brand,” Yoga mats and Aluminum plates. One corner was down a tiny bit, doubled up on the Yoga Mat, there
EA66799C-5BFD-4BB2-9FEB-21B6F6162A3D.jpeg
. BTW to slide the empty aquarium and stand across the floor, to final position, cut Acrylic Sheet, to squares, and placed them under the corners. Removed, once in place.

pap2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I would trust it. the space between the mats
would be a pressure point. you need complete support under
the tank. good luck

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Aluminum Plates and Yogi Mat pieces are against the Tile Floor. The smaller Aluminum Plates, are to support the Sump. I wanted air to be able to flow under the stand, and not have the Aluminum stain the tile.
The top of the stand has a full Yogi Mat on it. I slid the Aquarium onto the top, using two Screen Lattices, that were Varnished and had Bee’s Wax on them. Slid it into place and tilted the Aquarium, while someone pulled the Lattice out, one by one. Then slid the Stand into position. The Aquarium weights 200 lbs, Stand just under a 100 lbs.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back