• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Sub-Standard packaging

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of switching from HW Marine Reefer mix to Tropic Marin Pro reef. I am already starting to regret the change, and I haven't even started to convert my salt water yet!!! The packaging is straight up junk. I have no other way to say it. I have ordered 5 boxes of Tropic Marin Pro reef and only 3 showed up in their original package. I had a 3rd actually drop out of the bottom as I picked it up at my door step. PLUS, you should vacuum seel the salt and not just clamp it.

Last edited:

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of switching from HW Marine Reefer mix to Tropic Marin Pro reef. I am already starting to regret the change, and I haven't even started to convert my salt water yet!!! The packaging is straight up junk. I have no other way to say it. I have ordered 5 boxes of Tropic Marin Pro reef and only 3 showed up in their original package. I had a 3rd actually drop out of the bottom as I picked it up at my door step. PLUS, you should vacuum seel the salt and not just clamp it.
Your problem is you’re ordering a box.
Get the 200G bucket and there’s no issue

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feel your pain! Ordered 2 200 gallon buckets of TMP and both came damaged. Thinking about switching!!!
Is their plastic bucket was damaged what makes you think any other companies bucket wouldn’t be? They are all basically the same

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, how are you sure this is even TMs fault?
what about who you ordered it from? How did they store it and ship it?
who was the shipping company? It is in the middle of the largest shipping time of the year, so for UPS or FEDEX to mess up is totally normal.
Just saying….

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t see many other hobbiest that use HW.. why the switch? Did brs stop selling it or something?
I like HW Marine Reefer mix, I only switched because of availability. BRS is the only vendor that carries it.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, how are you sure this is even TMs fault?
what about who you ordered it from? How did they store it and ship it?
who was the shipping company? It is in the middle of the largest shipping time of the year, so for UPS or FEDEX to mess up is totally normal.
Just saying….
He said the plastic bag was clamped not sealed if I read it correctly. That’s part of the packagings and I don’t think fedex or ups did that.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I’ve never seen a brand of salt that vaccumm seals their product….
He said the plastic bag was clamped not sealed if I read it correctly. That’s part of the packagings and I don’t think fedex or ups did that.
no but that’s standard fare in almost all salts. IO, RS, TM, etc….

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I’ve never seen a brand of salt that vaccumm seals their product….

no but that’s standard fare in almost all salts. IO, RS, TM, etc….
HW Marine does, or they at least heat seal it.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So because it’s what most companies do and not what you’re now used to it’s sub-par?
Got it

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So because it’s what most companies do and not what you’re now used to it’s sub-par?
Got it
See, that's the thing, I assumed all companies at least heat sealed their bags of salt to prevent moisture from getting into the bags. If others don't heat seal their bags, then, maybe we need to show them that its the right thing to do.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I now just use the cheapest available and stock up when there is a good sale, but if you are looking for a fully synthetic "premium" reef salt I would look into aquaforest. I never had issues with their packaging (despite claims otherwise not everyone boxes or packages the same). Aquaforest boxes got delivered with the plastic straps around the box that at least in theory should help prevent some types of damage during shipping by keeping the box integrity a little better. Their bags were not sealed, but they were adequately zip tied and I never had any noticeable clumping or apparent moisture issues.

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
so when you open the seal then what, i think its more about the storage after the fact that is important. I just keep the ziptie and put it in a sealed older salt bucket for storage

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so when you open the seal then what, i think its more about the storage after the fact that is important. I just keep the ziptie and put it in a sealed older salt bucket for storage
I like to keep several boxes of salt on hand. That's why I like the packages to be heat sealed. When I cut open the package I usually dump it in a 5 gal bucket with a sealed top. The opened container is not my concern, its the several other boxes that I keep in reserve. We can forget about the heat seal part, and concentrate on the actual boxes falling apart. Of the 5 boxes of TP Pro I have received, only 3 arrived in their original box. A 3rd actually dropped out of the bottom as I picked it up from my doorstep. So you can make that 2 that arrived in their original box. I purchased them from BRS, which is the same vendor I received well over 20 boxes of HW Marine from BRS. Only 1 box of HW marine arrived in a box other than original.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to make companies better, not bash them. I will not go with a product if I do not believe in them. IT does not make them perfect. They can get better, we just need to help them, become better. ;)

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back