Submersible Return Pump for 125g Dual Overflow with 40b Sump

AWIL57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I am upgrading from a 29g sump with external return pump to a 40g breeder tank on my 125g and want to use and internal return pump. I don't have the money for one of the top of the line pumps but I know there are some mid-range pumps out there. I would like to keep power consumption low as well as heat output (I live in PHX, AZ) and I have an Apex so if it connected to that it would be bonus but definitely not mandatory.

As with asking for any opinion in this hobby there will be a lot of choices but I'd just like to see where most people stand on this.

Thanks in advance!

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run Eheim 1262 on a 180. They are cheap, quiet, and low heat. Sicce are nice too, it a bit more expensie.

Just FYI, Marine depot matches prices online, so if you find a nice pump somewhere else, they may match its price and you get points.

OP
OP
AWIL57

AWIL57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run Eheim 1262 on a 180. They are cheap, quiet, and low heat. Sicce are nice too, it a bit more expensie.

Just FYI, Marine depot matches prices online, so if you find a nice pump somewhere else, they may match its price and you get points.

That is great to know! I also have a 10% off with them I need to use!

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AWIL57 - Fluval SP4 hands down if you're going for a reasonable budget pump that's extremely reliable. The eheim 1262 is also fantastic but a bit underpowered compared to the fluval. You won't go wrong with either though

OP
OP
AWIL57

AWIL57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AWIL57 - Fluval SP4 hands down if you're going for a reasonable budget pump that's extremely reliable. The eheim 1262 is also fantastic but a bit underpowered compared to the fluval. You won't go wrong with either though
Thanks I didn't even know Fluval had pumps!

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I didn't even know Fluval had pumps!
They are made by Askoll for another hagen brand -laguna- for a long time now. So if you want a 25ft power cord you could get a Laguna 2900. Has a better flowing volute and an impeller diamater a couple mm wider than the SP4 to give it some extra juice. It will use on average 15-20watts more power than an SP4 in similar applications. For your tank I'd go SP4, but if you planned to upgrade to something closer to 300+ gal in the future then the 2900 might be the better buy.

IMO they are the 'next' Eheim Universal pump.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluval and Laguna use Askoll blocks and are bulletproof pumps that are not high wattage. They have different flow rates, but I have Lagunas and Fluvals in my tanks for a long time with no issues.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back