Substitute for Mag flake in DIY 3 part

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do people use for diy Magnesium if they cant source MAG flake? I mixed the other 2 parts and I cant find MAG flake anywhere in canada. Would this work?

Now Foods 100% pure magnesium flakes 54 Ounce

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do people use for diy Magnesium if they cant source MAG flake? I mixed the other 2 parts and I cant find MAG flake anywhere in canada. Would this work?

Now Foods 100% pure magnesium flakes 54 Ounce

Yep thats mag chloride hexahydrate like dead sea works in randys DIY article.
Cant speak to the purity though.
I would likely use it as ive used deicer before...not the purest lol.

Mix it with some epsom salts (dr teals from walmart or wherever you shop in canada) as randys article describes.
More of a balanced product as far as chloride and sulfate.

OP
OP
N.Sreefer

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep thats mag chloride hexahydrate like dead sea works in randys DIY article.
Cant speak to the purity though.
I would likely use it as ive used deicer before...not the purest lol.

Mix it with some epsom salts (dr teals from walmart or wherever you shop in canada) as randys article describes.
More of a balanced product as far as chloride and sulfate.
Thanks!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Food grade should be good, but I'd double check it for ammonia before making any substantial boosts with it.

Say, when you do a water change, take some of the water, boost it with 10 ppm of the magnesium, and see if there is any probnlematic ammonia. :)

OP
OP
N.Sreefer

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you end up using this stuff? I'm running low and was considering this exact one (I'm also in Canada).
Randy was right on the money with that. I experienced some nutrient issues after using it. Can't say why because I didn't do any testing on the product but I didn't like the response from my fish and coral. I had all my LPS and softys retract.

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy was right on the money with that. I experienced some nutrient issues after using it. Can't say why because I didn't do any testing on the product but I didn't like the response from my fish and coral. I had all my LPS and softys retract.
Dang, already ordered it. Guess it'll for the bathtub lol. Did you find something better?

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Food grade should be good, but I'd double check it for ammonia before making any substantial boosts with it.

Say, when you do a water change, take some of the water, boost it with 10 ppm of the magnesium, and see if there is any probnlematic ammonia. :)
Hi Randy. I mixed the required amount for 10ppm in my 73gallon system volume (23 grams according to http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html) in 1/2 litre of RODI then I measured the solution directly with a salifert test kit. Is this a reliable way to test for ammonia or does it have to be mixed in salt water? I got possibly the lowest value on the kit or none as a result - hard to tell.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy. I mixed the required amount for 10ppm in my 73gallon system volume (23 grams according to http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html) in 1/2 litre of RODI then I measured the solution directly with a salifert test kit. Is this a reliable way to test for ammonia or does it have to be mixed in salt water? I got possibly the lowest value on the kit or none as a result - hard to tell.

I expect the Salifert kit reads ammonia in fresh water, but I’m not certain.

Anyone know?

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SInce I mixed 23grams magnesium chloride in half a liter RODI, I'm assuming that had higher S.G. than sea water anyway (35 grams per liter). I'm likely talking out my butt. Anyway I added it to my tank and nothing looked miffed so I am going to continue to use it - carefully.

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using this,
Search Dead Sea Works magnesium.

Aromasong Magnesium Flakes from The Dead Sea, 12 LB Resealable Pack (Packaging May Very) - Muscle Relaxing Magnesium Chloride Bath Salts Soak for Headaches, Stress & Leg Discomfort https://a.co/d/dzRuqzO

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SInce I mixed 23grams magnesium chloride in half a liter RODI, I'm assuming that had higher S.G. than sea water anyway (35 grams per liter). I'm likely talking out my butt. Anyway I added it to my tank and nothing looked miffed so I am going to continue to use it - carefully.

Or most kits, the seawater/freshwater difference isn't necessarily the actual salinity that matters, but whether the pH is impacted by buffers in the water that may prevent the kit from getting to a required pH for testing.

That said, if you've added it to the tank without apparent issue, it is likely good to go.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 117 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back