Substrate advice to glass bottom or not.

SmokeOneLV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plan was to setup a fowlr tank on a budget and upgrade piece by piece as I progress to a reef in about 2 years (my kids are young can't afford to feed the reef and pay for daycare). Right now i have around 100lbs or more of dry rock (use to be live 8 years ago). Was thinking about going with live sand to help seed the rock and to feed a diamond back that I would like to get but that quickly adds a couple hundred dollars to the plan. I was wondering would crush coral work for a diamond back because a guy in town has crushed coral for sale that would only be $100 to make a 1" bed. Or should I jist scrap the diamond back and go with the bare bottom and use that money in another area. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

This is the 125g as of tonight.

1939fd562b79aa89dbf7056f4816a6e4.jpg

SDReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamond gobies need fine sand and an established tank to thrive in an aquarium. I would not advise getting one while you're just starting a tank. Personally, I like having sand (and I think Amazon might have some cheap live sand) rather than going bare-bottom. However, you can definitely do whatever you want, there's no single way to do the hobby.

Good luck!!

OP
OP
SmokeOneLV

SmokeOneLV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamond gobies need fine sand and an established tank to thrive in an aquarium. I would not advise getting one while you're just starting a tank. Personally, I like having sand (and I think Amazon might have some cheap live sand) rather than going bare-bottom. However, you can definitely do whatever you want, there's no single way to do the hobby.

Good luck!!
Thank you lol let me clarify the diamond back is on my list of fish not one going in any time soon just planning ahead lol. I'm putting together 3 list of fish for the different substrate. Thank for the Amazon advice I will be looking at them in the the morning.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back