Substrate for Alpheus Randalli (Randall's pistol shrimp)

Common Blevil

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 22, 2023
Messages
352
Reaction score
358
Location
Kraków
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am upgrading and after a year of having sand i realised i hate it and want to change to a coarser substrate. But i have 2 wheeleri gobies and the shrimp mentioned. Will they be fine on a large substrate? I've seen videos of YWG and tiger pistol on big substrate, but not with randalli, and randalli is much smaller than tiger. I know these jerks are very strong but i also don't want for them to suffer. They are the only sand dwellers i have.

IMG_20250518_192021.jpg

Gobies(they should be fine)

IMG_20250612_145911.jpg

Dolomite gravel on the left i would like to use. Maybe i will mix it with pieces of quartz gravel for more diversity and to have some silicates.

PS: i may put some coarser sand near the front glass but i want a coarse detritus trapping substrate at the back and under rocks. Or i will go completely with coarse substrate and put some bigger pieces of coral skeletons and small dry(later live) rock to create a coral rubble type of environment.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 11.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new