Success Rate of Copper Treatment?

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm missing something...

I've done a lot of forum reading on copper treatments since I'm in the middle of mine. I found a few instances of people claiming to follow Cupramine treatment protocols, left DT fallow for 72+ days, yet Ich returned.

So my question is: how is this possible? I read that the longest cyst lasted 72 before becoming the free swimming stage. With this logic, isn't it possible to not eradicate Ich through the hospital tank copper treatment process if only treating for 2 weeks (still leaving fish out of DT for recommended time)? Am I missing something?

Also, how long should the DT stay fallow? I've read everywhere from 6-10 weeks. We are approaching week 4 right now, so I want to make sure I completely eradicate the problem since we've gone through all the trouble so far.

Any advice is appreciated! Thank you!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump! It's been so long since I used copper that I don't remember! :)

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be "safe", must now say to go fallow 10-12 weeks. This is consistent with the 72 days you have read.

And as far as your original question, if Cupramine was used at the correct dosage level (0.5ppm) for 4 weeks, and the tank left fallow as noted above, the only way to have Ich in the tank is if it was introduced. A new fish that was not treated, or possibly even carried into the tank on an invert or coral (very unlikely, but possible).

More than likely people just don't want to own up to not "staying to the plan".

Genesis Corals

Genesis 1:21
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently using the Tank Transfer Method which solves the question you are asking. You could always transfer the fish to a new tank after copper is over while you wait. I am following to see what others have to say.

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up running our 180 FLOWR tank fallow for 9 weeks and treated the 5 survivors of a massive Ich outbreak with Cupramine at .5ppm for just over 3 weeks. I had already owned a 57 watt U/V sterilizer so I let it run at a 150 GPH flow rate just for the heck of it, since it couldn't hurt.

This was almost two years ago, and we have not lost a single fish that was saved in this manner. However, we have not added a SINGLE fish, invert, rock, or macro algae to the tank since the treatment period. I even use separate water change equipment and tools for feeding so there is no risk of cross contamination with our other 5 systems. Even though it is unlikely you can introduce the parasite back into a "sterile" system by adding rocks or macro which have the "free swimming" theronts.

So maybe these folks who once had eradicated the parasite were able to unknowingly introduce it back in via a non-fish mechanism?

Just a thought.

Good Luck! You will find the reward for your efforts and diligence well worth it. My fish have never looked better!

Larry

I got tired of seeing my fish look like this before the QT!

FoxfaceIch.jpg

Same fish after....

IMG_1643.jpg

IMG_1645.jpg

My trigger has grown a lot as well...

E7609697-082A-4C5E-B486-806C7C7767A8_zpsithaunxp.jpg

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So can the dreaded "72 day cyst" not exist in the copper treated hospital tank?

It's certainly a possibility. However, 72 days is the longest period cryptocaryon tomonts have been observed before releasing tomites. The reason people keep their tanks fallow for up to that period is to get as close to 100% certainty as possible. The average life cycle is still 1-2 weeks, and that period is what is most commonly observed.

No treatment (except maybe tank transfer) is 100% effective. By treating for 4 weeks you are significantly shifting the odds in your favor, however.

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up running our 180 FLOWR tank fallow for 9 weeks and treated the 5 survivors of a massive Ich outbreak with Cupramine at .5ppm for just over 3 weeks. I had already owned a 57 watt U/V sterilizer so I let it run at a 150 GPH flow rate just for the heck of it, since it couldn't hurt.

This was almost two years ago, and we have not lost a single fish that was saved in this manner. However, we have not added a SINGLE fish, invert, rock, or macro algae to the tank since the treatment period. I even use separate water change equipment and tools for feeding so there is no risk of cross contamination with our other 5 systems. Even though it is unlikely you can introduce the parasite back into a "sterile" system by adding rocks or macro which have the "free swimming" theronts.

So maybe these folks who once had eradicated the parasite were able to unknowingly introduce it back in via a non-fish mechanism?

Just a thought.

Good Luck! You will find the reward for your efforts and diligence well worth it. My fish have never looked better!

Larry

I got tired of seeing my fish look like this before the QT!

FoxfaceIch.jpg

Same fish after....

My trigger has grown a lot as well...

Nice! Love to see success stories like this. :)

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 18 7.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 48 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back