Quaratine treatment timing for Copper power and KanaPlex

jonnywink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m quarantining 5 fish in a 30 gal tank and wanted to cut the time if possible. Last time I made medicated food with kanaplex for a week, and then prazipro treatment for several weeks, then the 30 day copper power treatment. Can I do both kanaplex and copper power at the same time. After these two, I do plan to do the prazipro treatment then afterward observe for a few days before they go into the DT. Just wanting to cut the time a little if possible.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m quarantining 5 fish in a 30 gal tank and wanted to cut the time if possible. Last time I made medicated food with kanaplex for a week, and then prazipro treatment for several weeks, then the 30 day copper power treatment. Can I do both kanaplex and copper power at the same time. After these two, I do plan to do the prazipro treatment then afterward observe for a few days before they go into the DT. Just wanting to cut the time a little if possible.
I wouldn't see any benefit to oral kanaplex - which is just a broad spectrum antibiotic, and difficult to dose in food especially in a QT situation where fish may not be eating or eating differently. There are also toxicities.

The protocol recommended on this site is Copper for 30 days followed by Prazipro. (There is a sticky at the top of the thread). The protocol suggests 2 prazipro treatments 8 days a part.

What fish are you quarantining - and where are you getting them?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And kanamycin, being an aminoglycoside, has extremely poor oral absorption...

It does work better as a bath, but there are also nagging reports of toxicity issues.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I always ask people - why do you need to cut the quarantine time short? If the quarantine tank itself is not stable, then that is a good reason, but just being in a hurry to put the fish in display isn't a good reason. You have the fish and can enjoy it in the QT, why rush things?

I'd just skip the antibiotic treatment and go with 30 days of amine-based copper and 2 to 3 prazi treatments, 8 days apart. Then, tack on an observation period at the end, whatever your comfort level is for that.

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In people it is essentially not absorbed - I believe it's different in fish. I do think, that toxicity using kanaplex or neoplex is possible (i.e. I agree with you)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And also - these drugs are not used much in human medicine due to the significant toxicity to kidneys as well as irreversible deafness. They are used for extremely resistant bacteria in combination with other drugs. If I had my choice - I would take kanamycin out of the regimen reefers could use. Neomycin is widely used as a skin antibiotic and orally to 'sterilize' the bowel (in people)

OP
OP
jonnywink

jonnywink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And also - these drugs are not used much in human medicine due to the significant toxicity to kidneys as well as irreversible deafness. They are used for extremely resistant bacteria in combination with other drugs. If I had my choice - I would take kanamycin out of the regimen reefers could use. Neomycin is widely used as a skin antibiotic and orally to 'sterilize' the bowel (in people)
Thank you

OP
OP
jonnywink

jonnywink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always ask people - why do you need to cut the quarantine time short? If the quarantine tank itself is not stable, then that is a good reason, but just being in a hurry to put the fish in display isn't a good reason. You have the fish and can enjoy it in the QT, why rush things?

I'd just skip the antibiotic treatment and go with 30 days of amine-based copper and 2 to 3 prazi treatments, 8 days apart. Then, tack on an observation period at the end, whatever your comfort level is for that.

Jay
Thank you Jay. I was only doing the KanaPlex as a precaution. All the fish have been in the QT (just under observation) for about 10 days. They are eating well and acting fine. I didn’t do quaratine until about 8 months ago after I lost almost all my DT fish and had to set up the QT fast for the few that remained and also fallow my DT for 3 months. Just don’t want to go through that again, but I’m anxious to be adding fish to the few that survived before, but don’t want to rush it. Thank you for the good info.

OP
OP
jonnywink

jonnywink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't see any benefit to oral kanaplex - which is just a broad spectrum antibiotic, and difficult to dose in food especially in a QT situation where fish may not be eating or eating differently. There are also toxicities.

The protocol recommended on this site is Copper for 30 days followed by Prazipro. (There is a sticky at the top of the thread). The protocol suggests 2 prazipro treatments 8 days a part.

Thank you.

OP
OP
jonnywink

jonnywink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m replacing some I lost about 8 months ago when I lost almost all the fish in my DT because I didn’t used to quaratine. Won’t make that mistake again. There are 2 Firefish, a green Chromis, a purple Dottyback, and a Royal Gamma. I get them all from the local Petco store because it’s close.

OP
OP
jonnywink

jonnywink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have started the copper treatment. After I get to treatment level, if I need to top off the tank due to evaporation, do I add treatment level copper to the new water first?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have started the copper treatment. After I get to treatment level, if I need to top off the tank due to evaporation, do I add treatment level copper to the new water first?
Its unclear what you exactly mean - and that's important - If you mean - the copper level in your QT is 2.5 - the answer is you want to take out whatever your want. The answer of what to return is 2.5 assuming that your 'shot for' level

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, you do not add copper to water being added to offset evaporation. The copper does not evaporate.

OP
OP
jonnywink

jonnywink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, you do not add copper to water being added to offset evaporation. The copper does not evaporate.
Jay, one more question please. When the 30 days are finished, do I do one large water change to get rid of the copper? Or several over a couple of days? If it’s one large, then should I do a 90% water change or is that too much?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay, one more question please. When the 30 days are finished, do I do one large water change to get rid of the copper? Or several over a couple of days? If it’s one large, then should I do a 90% water change or is that too much?
I typically perform two 50% water changes, a day apart after copper. Done properly, that will not stress the fish too much and will reduce to copper level to below 80%

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back