Success with small clams

aabjones888

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
who has had success with smal clams? Like smaller than 2inches. I see a lot for sale that are either smaller than 2” or bigger than 5”. I use to buy 3.5”-5” ones because they fit my reef better. I’ve tried the smaller ones but just have not been lucky with them.

OP
OP
aabjones888

aabjones888

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have , with two clams. Maybe I just got lucky, but I do use a lot of light.
How small were your clams? Did u do any kind of special feeding? What kinda lights for how many gallons? Where did u get the clams from?
I’m using 2-250w halides and 4-t5s on a 80 gallon.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 3/4. No special feedings. Bout 150 -200 par on the sand.

I can grow most sps and some acros on the sand too.

Sounds like you have plenty of light.

Both clams were random I found them at different lfs.

OP
OP
aabjones888

aabjones888

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s awesome, I hope they continue to thrive for you. I use to be able to keep the bigger ones. I had some for many years. I miss looking in my aquarium and seeing clams.

OP
OP
aabjones888

aabjones888

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 2" maxima that lasted 2 years and a 3.5" squamosa for many years up to 12". Lots of light here as well though I've never measured par.
What happened to the maxima? I had a clam get big after years also, sucks when they pass.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happened to the maxima? I had a clam get big after years also, sucks when they pass.
The maxima perished from a crocea that brought in pinched mantle and pyramid snails claimed our squamosa. That really bummed us out, had that clam since 2012 I believe, maybe earlier.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
who has had success with smal clams? Like smaller than 2inches. I see a lot for sale that are either smaller than 2” or bigger than 5”. I use to buy 3.5”-5” ones because they fit my reef better. I’ve tried the smaller ones but just have not been lucky with them.
Success with small derasas. Not with crocea or maxima.

OP
OP
aabjones888

aabjones888

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my first two I ever got in a 10 gallon, the blue one was like 2 1/2” and the other was like 3”, the bottom pic is the last pic I have of them.

C5AACB78-616E-417B-BAEE-06BB5508533D.png
A16C460B-3A36-4091-A1DB-DB61CE5365EA.png

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a crocea that is now just over 3 inches and I’ve had it for about 2 years. I never measured it and I can’t find the picture of when I got it but I’m guessing it was 1.25 inches the day I got it. It’s a light monster so I placed it up on my rocks. Never specifically fed it phyto or anything special just blasted it under Gen 3 Radion Pro.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be hard. If you are wanting blue, then get a blue squamosa - more money, but your success rate is MUCH better... even at less than three inches. I got these two blue squammies when they were about 2" about 4-5 years ago. They are getting big now and the big one probably would not fit in a 5g bucket and is quite heavy even in the water. The smaller one is 7 inches of shell. I got the deresa in the photo at about 2"... growing fast too, but not so much lately. I find crocea a bit easier than maxima when small, but they need more light. I would be shocked if the mortality rate of smaller maxima is not 95% plus, but we will never know.

I did get a few Cocos cultured blue maximas but they are 3". I wish that somebody would just keep some of these babies in the south pacific for another season and lets them get to 3" where the mortality would be a lot less. You are seeing this some with Deresa and Squamosa. I guess as long as people are buying 1.5-2.5" clams, then they probably never will.

Even though Squamosa and Deresa are much easier to raise, there is a downside... it always kills you to when you have to rehome them to larger tanks.

Sorry for the bad iPhone pic... and an old iPhone at that...

Mrs. Herbert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be hard. If you are wanting blue, then get a blue squamosa - more money, but your success rate is MUCH better... even at less than three inches. I got these two blue squammies when they were about 2" about 4-5 years ago. They are getting big now and the big one probably would not fit in a 5g bucket and is quite heavy even in the water. The smaller one is 7 inches of shell. I got the deresa in the photo at about 2"... growing fast too, but not so much lately. I find crocea a bit easier than maxima when small, but they need more light. I would be shocked if the mortality rate of smaller maxima is not 95% plus, but we will never know.

I did get a few Cocos cultured blue maximas but they are 3". I wish that somebody would just keep some of these babies in the south pacific for another season and lets them get to 3" where the mortality would be a lot less. You are seeing this some with Deresa and Squamosa. I guess as long as people are buying 1.5-2.5" clams, then they probably never will.

Even though Squamosa and Deresa are much easier to raise, there is a downside... it always kills you to when you have to rehome them to larger tanks.

Beautiful tank and clams!
I bought both of my clams on the larger side because of the fear of killing the smaller ones.

OP
OP
aabjones888

aabjones888

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful!!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back