OP
OP
iretthepirate

iretthepirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I try ,I did like for a Clownfish breeding in a 10 gal tank,but never past 2 weeks..Keep me post,maybe one day I try again..
the set up is important cylinder works the best by far. some people build a kresil tank (probably didn't spell that right) but to complicated and expensive. I tried raising them in a 10 gal rectangle tank a couple times which failed of course and with a 2 gal rectangle several times also which failed. the longest before this last batch I got one to live 16 days I think in the 2gal rectangle. the bigger the tank u try to raise them in the harder cause you have to make so much more food and its already a pain in the butt as it is and harder to clean. plus I hear a cylinder is better cause keeps them from bumping into the sides and has more water movement.

OP
OP
iretthepirate

iretthepirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the answers. Yes this is the first time that I'm purposely or seriously raising them. So, I'm studying everything I can. Getting 80 or 70 is really a great accomplishment. Anything else you want to put on here I'll soak it in.
no problem is you have any questions fell free to ask me. my biggest advice is just having enough food for them and keeping your water levels good.

Rob in Puyallup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats! I love these guys, have several in my nano reef tank. I've had success breeding freshwater shrimp of numerous types as well as the brackish opae ula. Have even had blue legged hermits release larvae, though they didn't survive predation.

Have subscribed and will be following along!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
while I am not necessarily interested in hatching and rearing fry from sexy shrimp, I am very interested in keeping them. I have a nice 5 gallon pico setup on my desk at the office. it wll be a zoa garden and is fully cycled with live rock. My plan of attack with it was to be able to feed the shrimp the same pellets I use for fish (no fish in this one). will this work for food? or I can bring some freese dried cyclopeze as well. I really hope to steer away from the frozen as it is a work tank.

btw, great job on rearing the little guys. that is way cool.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
while I am not necessarily interested in hatching and rearing fry from sexy shrimp, I am very interested in keeping them. I have a nice 5 gallon pico setup on my desk at the office. it wll be a zoa garden and is fully cycled with live rock. My plan of attack with it was to be able to feed the shrimp the same pellets I use for fish (no fish in this one). will this work for food? or I can bring some freese dried cyclopeze as well. I really hope to steer away from the frozen as it is a work tank.

FYI-Sexy Shrimp love to munch on Zoas. I'm forever chasing my 2 off of them. Oh and they love to be hosted by Maxi Mini anemones.

OP
OP
iretthepirate

iretthepirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

they wil eat anything!

OP
OP
iretthepirate

iretthepirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great read, congrats on you husbandry and accomplishment. How are they doing to date?
they are getting big and I want to get rid of them lol!!! ive taken care of them long enough time for a new home. 2 actually died recently a couple of my biggest ones too :( I think its due to overcrowding now since they are getting so big I really would like to give them away/sell but im concerned cause I wanted them to be fully weaned off pellets by now and strictly eat meaty food like brine. makes it easier for the person who has them to feed, 90% still skittish of the small pieces of Mysis and brine I give them

OP
OP
iretthepirate

iretthepirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI-Sexy Shrimp love to munch on Zoas. I'm forever chasing my 2 off of them. Oh and they love to be hosted by Maxi Mini anemones.
I never had them eat my zoas but they do tend to nibble on lps ive noticed. I only keep mine in a tank with soft coral ive never seen them eat it

OP
OP
iretthepirate

iretthepirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long over due but finally added all my babies (besides the 15 I have to a friend) in my 34 gal. ended up having around 63 all together that survived to adulthood

OP
OP
iretthepirate

iretthepirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any picture updates
with them together>>?????!
IMG_20131120_194121.jpg
here's a pic I took today the smaller ones are the ones that stayed in the fry tank much longer then the bigger ones. They love the maxi mini the braver ones like the top of the tank the rest are scattered throughout and in the back towards sand. I'm glad I have these guys the original parents died cause I added something to my tank for cyano bacteria and it crashed. Felt so bad

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love it!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 42.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 21.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back