Sexy shrimp breeding experiment again

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice work! Even if you don't find a way to make it commercially viable, simply being able to say that you have done it and to learn along the way is important. Additionally, you can share your findings with others as you or they work to develop a "recipe" for the breeding process. I have bred many species of fish and other things and this has been my experience.

nanofishies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you just raising them on artimia? Or decapsulated eggs?

I had 13 sexies settle. They are around 7 months old now. I’m down to 6 shrimp. However they started laying at 5 months old.

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now have 42 that settled total (according to the records). I have given up on counting how many of them still remain alive.
With this, all of the sexy shrimp larvae left from the first batch have settled. No more big guys left to settle.
I have another newer batch going but it'd take a while for them to grow. If all goes well that is.

NoohpyT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you feeding them in their larva stage? I also felt bad when my Sexy shrimp would release their larva and they would all die

Andrey Grodno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ukrainian aquarist with the nickname "Toothpick", already 8 years ago mastered the method of breeding these shrimp. And not only shrimp, even crabs. Her topics on the local forum in Russian, so that most will not be able to understand even with an interpreter. This girl raised a huge amount of wildlife, she had a farm....But then came the "liberators"....The link to her channel you can watch a little bit.
There is also about these shrimps.

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates ?
The sexy shrimps have been released from the isolation boxes into the display tank and seem to be doing ok. Somehow I'm getting the impression that I don't see as many of them around as I had when they were in the isolation box but I could be wrong. I can't really keep a good track of them once they are in the display tank moving, hiding about. If any of them died, it's easy to miss since the other residents could clean it up real quick.
The bad news is that just like before, the other batches after the initial success didn't really work out. I've had about 5 that managed to settle successfully but the batches after that just failed entirely. Also, the sexy shrimps had stopped producing offspring for a while which got me scared but that's been fixed and now they are making babies again.
I've been trying to hypothesize what went wrong and also to make some improvements. If this was a proper experiment, I should just be focusing on testing the variables that may have caused issues while trying to maintain other variables as constant as possible but that'd just be too much, if not impossible with the resources I have. It's not an ideal, scientific approach but I can't help it.
The good news is that I think the batch that I'm currently raising seems more promising, at least for the time being. Looking forward to seeing how it works out.
IMG_20230810_172110.jpg

IMG_20230904_112326.jpg

IMG_20230829_134154.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back