Breeding & raising Thor amboinensis

Arkardios

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!
Earlier this year I tried my hand at breeding my sexy shrimp. About every two weeks the female would release hundreds of larvae in the night. So I did some research for a couple of days and DIY'd a tank to raise the lil' shrimp.

I went with a 12 liter/3g glass tank in which I placed this contraption, the larvae cylinder:
20231202_212307.jpg
It's a round 2,3 liter plastic box which is siliconed to a glass pane. In the top I cut a hand-sized hole for maintenance, and in the side is a hole for the air line tubing.
This is placed in the 12 liter tank, along with a heater set to 27°C/80°F, and a bottle for hatching artemia. No extra light other than some daylight from the window. Both the tank and the larvae cylinder are filled with saltwater from my main tank, where my sexy shrimp pair lives.

20230714_221036.jpg
I waited until the next spawning night and fished off as many larvae as I could, and transferred them to the cylinder. The air to the tank is set to bubble just so that the larvae are constantly being moved around. They shouldn't settle at the bottom.

During the larvae phase, for the next 4 or so weeks, I feed them freshly hatched artemia naupli daily. They also get a water change every day, wherein old naupli are replaced with fresh. Fresh water comes from the main tank, never freshly mixed. Once a week I did a 100% WC and cleaned the cylinder.

After 5 weeks, the first larvae started its metamorphosis. It settled at the bottom and looked like a little shrimp (still with larvae coloring).
20230720_104211.jpg
The metamorphosis takes a few days. It'll gain adult coloring, markings and all.
When it's done, it'll start accepting food. Anything the adults eat is fair game from then on. :)

IMG_3478_1.JPG
And that's that. Not terribly difficult but takes some daily dedication.
Hope this might help someone raise these guys. They're well worth it. :)

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great achievement, and thanks so much for the writeup. I would love to breed sexy shrimp or similar but just don't have the time and energy consistently available. Every success in aquaculture is a positive for the hobby long term.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 123 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back