Sudden death of sand clean up crew members

ZWesley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello all, in the past few days I have lost both of my 2 conchs and all of my nassarius snails have come to the surface and are just standing in one place. I know one is alive because it flinched when my finger got close to it. They have been like this for a few days now. I am currently fighting a nutrient imbalance and have a mixture of hair algae and a few other types I haven’t identified. The tank is a year old and I have had some coral and a bta nem, which I got when things were going well a month or two ago, and neither are acting healthily. My zoas probably don’t like the change in light as it is more powerful however my Duncan used to be very full and healthy looking but now looks very deflated and wrinkly. What do you guys think is happening? I also recently did a 5 gallon wc to clean the sand as well. Thanks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello all, in the past few days I have lost both of my 2 conchs and all of my nassarius snails have come to the surface and are just standing in one place. I know one is alive because it flinched when my finger got close to it. They have been like this for a few days now. I am currently fighting a nutrient imbalance and have a mixture of hair algae and a few other types I haven’t identified. The tank is a year old and I have had some coral and a bta nem, which I got when things were going well a month or two ago, and neither are acting healthily. My zoas probably don’t like the change in light as it is more powerful however my Duncan used to be very full and healthy looking but now looks very deflated and wrinkly. What do you guys think is happening? I also recently did a 5 gallon wc to clean the sand as well. Thanks.
Things that will cause this are:
High temperature
Starvation
High phosphate/nitrate
Low oxygen
Low calcium or ph
Dirty tank

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back