Sudden drop in Salinity!

Alex.M.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HELP! After adding my live sand, live rock and 3 mangroves my salinity dropped. This morning when I checked my salinity of my 40 gallon tank, it was finally at 1.023, which was perfect for my fish and live rock tank. I went to my LFS and got roughly 30 lbs of live rocks, 10 lbs of dry rock, 1 large conch shell along with 3 red mangroves and 60 lbs of live sand. After adding everything to my tank, i let everything settle down. Just now when i checked my salinity again, it had dropped to 1.010. Is this normal? Do i just add more salt or do I have to take everything out? Do I cycle with the salinity being lower than what i need?

Tiger Brown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, you added a ton of displacement to a relatively small content of water. You must have either had to remove water when you added all that, or you didn't have a full 40 gallons to begin with, right? I'm wondering if that has something to do with your salinity. I wouldn't panic about it, once all the new stuff you added settles get your salinity set (with a calibrated refractometer) and I bet you'll be good.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What instrument are you using to measure salinity?
Additionally salt levels climb thru evaporation and only get low if a good amount of water is added.
Do what tests you can, then take a water sample to a trusted pet store and have them test and compare with your readings to assure accuracy.

welcome14.gif

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the lfs give you some of their water to transport the live rock? If so did you drain them well before putting them in your tank? Some lfs keep their salinity pretty low so if you didn't drain them well their water can cause yours to drop. That's a lot of your water displaced from the rocks and sand.

OP
OP
Alex.M.

Alex.M.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, you added a ton of displacement to a relatively small content of water. You must have either had to remove water when you added all that, or you didn't have a full 40 gallons to begin with, right? I'm wondering if that has something to do with your salinity. I wouldn't panic about it, once all the new stuff you added settles get your salinity set (with a calibrated refractometer) and I bet you'll be good.

My tank was at roughly 38 gallons before i added my items. when i did, it made it perfectly 40 gallons. im using an ATO refractometer and thank you for welcome!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef! SG shouldn't drop with adding rock or other things.

I suspect a testing error and that's okay. Has your refractometer been calibrated?

OP
OP
Alex.M.

Alex.M.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef! SG shouldn't drop with adding rock or other things.

I suspect a testing error and that's okay. Has your refractometer been calibrated?

Yes it has. Im adding 1/2 cup of salt and keep measuring. its increasing very slowly. This is the tank set up.
Tank set up.jpg

sternicus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would raise it up since it won’t hurt the fish if you bring it up and if it’s over you’ll still be okay. Just go slow and keep monitoring. Like others have said, also monitor it and make sure you’re calibrated.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 149 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 66 26.9%
Back